• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZDC

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello to all

I'm going to start off by saying that I am looking for a flintlock for hunting.( For the 22-23 season) I would prefer a gun under $750 but I'll go over budget if it is worth it. I'm planning on shooting patched round balls and I'm thinking 50 cal.

I was looking at the traditions Kentucky rifle but from the reviews some people like it but some people had a problems with it after a few hundred shots.

So yeah any suggestions about any gun that would be a good starter flintlock would be much appreciated, Thanks.

I usually recommend a good sized lock for starting out. The larger the frizzen face the more forgiving it tends to be (from my observations) of a new person, and if the person isn't new to flintlocks, the larger frizzen is a lot less hassle for the experienced person.

So right now you can lay your hands on a .50 or a .54 Blue Ridge Hunter from Cabela's. It's in your price range.
Blue Ridge Hunter

The BRH is a Pedersoli Frontier, model rifle, made for Cabela's to retail. There are a few quirks with any of the factory guns. Here's what I've found with the Frontier/BRH

1) The front sight post is too thick. Past 50 yards, shooting at a bullseye trying to work up a hunting load, or trying to aim at the right spot on a deer is like trying to center a quarter on the top of a 2x4 piece of lumber. The barrels are pretty good, and show this when you swap out the factory front sight with a thin bladed sight from Track of the Wolf.

2) The barrel has a patent breech so when cleaning you have to be sure you get that too. A .30 brush for a rifle or even a .22 brush will help keep the breech clean.

3) The .50 is a 1:48 twist, and is fine for round ball, while the .54 is a 1:66 twist, and is really just for round ball.

4) The lock is held in place by a single lock bolt, BUT for some reason Pedersoli also uses a wood screw located directly in front of the bend of the Frizzen spring to hold the lock in place. One must be careful not to strip out the wood with this screw. I know some folks who merely take off the case hardened color from the lock and then fill the location on the lock plate where that screw goes with something like fauz pewter. They keep the lock plate shiny so it's not noticed.

5) The ramrods tend to be not straight grained, and I always swap out an Italian wooden rammer with an after market one.

There are a few things on the cosmetic side that can be changed, some say a lot of things, but since this a hunting rifle, there are not important.

LD

With a flint lock, the first priority is all about the lock. As @Loyalist Dave says, "I usually recommend a good sized lock for starting out. The larger the frizzen face the more forgiving it tends to be (from my observations) of a new person, and if the person isn't new to flintlocks, the larger frizzen is a lot less hassle for the experienced person." This is a fundamental truth about flint locks. With the larger frizzen (steel or whatever one wants to call it), you get more sparks being scraped into a larger pan. The larger pan allows for a bit more powder to make a slightly larger flash to generate heat to set off the main charge. This will make the initial experience with a flint lock much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out at some gun shows over the winter, you might come across something nice.
TRUE and as we near tax day, April 15, or Christmas sometimes cruising Pawn or Buy Sell shops nets you a bargain, as people dump old muzzleloaders for some extra cash BUT...,
He wants to shoot deer in a couple of months, maybe less, so his bargain hunting has a time limit.

LD

Lyman Great Plains rifle. Might be a little over your price but I can't imagine by too much. A much better choice than a Traditions anything.

As you mentioned I would second being weary of the Traditions Kentucky. Me and mine are estranged at the moment after a rough afternoon at the range. Doubtless I made many mistakes but she could be less fussy!

I'm not opposed to TC flintlock as fair starter guns. That said, at your price a little patience watching the adds here could pay dividends.
What might be helpful is to know what style you're interested in. Half stocked, full stocked, Southern Mountain Rifle, Jaeger, etc. There are some decent used production guns in flintlock that you could grab for $350-450 leaving you cash for accouterments. Such price could be found in a TC or Investarm in decent used condition, with some nice older Dixie Gun Works in the $500-600 if you keep your eyes open.

Another vote for the Pedersoli Frontier it is a very forgiving flintlock for first timers. Love mine. Did have to do some file work on the front sight but that is almost a given on a lot of new guns.

I'm going to say stay away from Traditions guns. They're low end and if you're new to flintlocks, not a good way to start. You want a gun that will give you good service from the start. You're going to be frustrated with a Traditions gun. Their locks are small and not good quality. My grandson has one and he's ready for an upgrade already and it's only been a couple seasons.

Yet another vote for a Pedersoli Frontier! That's mine I'm holding in my profile photo in fact. Mine is in .45 caliber and I have never had a single issue with the lock on this rifle (it is small however as others have pointed out), making it very important to keep it clean and your flint properly installed.

Back