• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for clarity.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colt_bamc

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question, I have seen the discussion about the description of an in line black powder rifle. I am not selling anything and believe in the use of traditional side lock front loaders. This is for my info only. I have among my collection a TC Texas Scout. Octagon barrel. Closed breach front loader firing a number 11 percussion cap. The hammer and nipple are in the center rear of the rifle, but the breach is sealed. Is this considered and inline? Thanks in advance for your input.

That would fall under the category of a box lock. I believe Wesson Rifles would be similar. I had never seen that TC model, interesting. Falls under the umbrella of this forum.

Interesting question. I'm not sure how that falls in regards to our rules. But, I feel it is probably outside them as I'm not sure it represents anything within the given time period of the forum.

As an aside, when I 1st became interested in muzzleloaders,,, I really wanted one of those badly. Then I caught the longrifle bug, then the flintlock, then the smoothbore bug,,,, then worst of all,,, the period correct bug..... and the Texas Scout was forgotten.

IMO, it’s an in-line, despite looking like an old west type of gun. The moderators need to jump in.
I kind of thought it might be considered one, like one of the first, a hybrid so to speak. It is a super gun for sure, like a tank! I've just always wondered what it is considered. I appreciate the input, yes, maybe the moderators can shed some light.

That would fall under the category of a box lock. I believe Wesson Rifles would be similar. I had never seen that TC model, interesting. Falls under the umbrella of this forum.

Attachments

• 20230220_130441.jpg
    20230220_130441.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
Go to your Fish & Game, get an opinion there, and GET IT IN WRITING!, assuming it is deemed legal. Some game wardens are as ignorant about muzzle loaders as legislators are, and it helps to have an arrow like that in your quiver.

Go to your Fish & Game, get an opinion there, and GET IT IN WRITING!, assuming it is deemed legal. Some game wardens are as ignorant about muzzle loaders as legislators are, and it helps to have an arrow like that in your quiver.
Its legal regardless of hunting season,( at least where I live) Michigan has ruined the traditional muzzIe loading season with the shotgun primer guns, and the other cartridge guns they allow now. Its not about getting back to basics anymore unfortunately, its about cash flow. I was just asking a question about what it was clasified as just because I am curious. I hunt with my sidelock primarily. The thompson is my back up,, and a loaner for quests. I appreciate your feedback. I'm enjoying this forum.

I remember those. Think they made a pistol as well that used the same action. I'd guess it is an inline gun, but so are percussion revolvers, technically speaking and those are allowed on the forum.

They were generally reliable little carbines... which is what they were looking for in those days I guess, but I never really liked them. They just didn't "look" right.

I remember those. Think they made a pistol as well that used the same action. I'd guess it is an inline gun, but so are percussion revolvers, technically speaking and those are allowed on the forum.

They were generally reliable little carbines... which is what they were looking for in those days I guess, but I never really liked them. They just didn't "look" right.
Yes, you are right, the pistol looks the same. It does more resemble a lever action without the lever. And yes, there is nothing that comes close to a sidelock when it comes to appearance. They are pure artwork. I just bought a kentucky rifle kit with a beautiful wood grain,and can't wait to collect all the furniture to make it what I've always wanted.

It is my opinion that @colt_bamc's rifle is a design that does not fit in with the Forum's pre 1865 cut-off for rifle designs. I would think that rifle really belongs on the sister site, Modern Muzzleloading. Yes, I know we talk about the Ruger Old Army Revolver which is a contemporary design in the full function of the traditional cap and ball revolvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back