• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Looking for cheap mz or kit for deer season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been trying to save up for a nice kit to do before deer mz season starts here in middle December. But may have to get a cheap project gun I can fix up to use.

So any gun that may need work or that's not vaulble should work. Needs to be 44 cal and up smooth or rifled.
Percussion or flint.

let me know what you have thanks.

Before you but your money down, make sure you can get the caps. Some will use an #10 and some will use a #11 cap. Can you get a supply locally? If you need to get them online, you will pay a HAZ fee and costs a few bucks and will add to the cost. IF you can find them. If you use real back powder you will have no issues and use a good FF power – I use only Swiss. If you will use a sub, some are hard to light and will not go off. Then you will need use a 209-shotgun primer. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unmentionable alert, unmentionable alert! ;) As has been pointed out, you'll be able to find something decent used in that price range, particularly if you're fairly flexible about style, ignition system, etc.. I'm working on something and may have a few in a week or two, so if you're still looking, give me a shout in a few......

I have a good CVA Bobcat in .50 I will sell. Clean "plastic" stock, blueing is good and the barrel is clean. Hammer spur is factory bent to accept a scope. Asking $150 plus shipping. Can send pics if you are interested.

Before you but your money down, make sure you can get the caps. Some will use an #10 and some will use a #11 cap. Can you get a supply locally? If you need to get them online, you will pay a HAZ fee and costs a few bucks and will add to the cost. IF you can find them. If you use real back powder you will have no issues and use a good FF power – I use only Swiss. If you will use a sub, some are hard to light and will not go off. Then you will need use a 209-shotgun primer. Good luck.
I'd rather have a side lock, last I looked cap are around but with corona I'm not 100% and I always hated buying caps. Like to maybe find a flint lock.

we can't buy black here in New york but I love a few miles from Pennsylvania and new jersey I just have to find a place that has bp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unmentionable alert, unmentionable alert! ;) As has been pointed out, you'll be able to find something decent used in that price range, particularly if you're fairly flexible about style, ignition system, etc.. I'm working on something and may have a few in a week or two, so if you're still looking, give me a shout in a few......
I will if I don't find anything I can afford and like.

The actions alone are around $165 not including stocks or barrels.
Ok thanks, I know the kit is like $500 but a used one would be nice even if it's beat up. A 45cal with a spare 20ga barrel would make for a nice package.
I don't mind if I have to get a new barrel for one of I can find just the action and butt. Should be easy to fit the barrel to, does anyone make the pin type breech plug they use.

I have several that I use and one has a 20ga, a 12ga and a .45. A decent used one with. Single barrel will probably run close to $500. All the newer ones have 3 set screws, much better than a single tapered pin.

I have several that I use and one has a 20ga, a 12ga and a .45. A decent used one with. Single barrel will probably run close to $500. All the newer ones have 3 set screws, much better than a single tapered pin.
I've had a few of them, my dads friend worked for numrich for years and he had brought some home when I was a kid. Adding a 32 or 36 barrel to the 20ga and 45 would be nice. Maybe I should just buy that new action and see if I can find a butt cheap, I got a nice peace of maple but drilling that butt stock bolt hole would be a pain with the little tools I have. I then can slowly get barrels when I have to money. So long the breech plus are available.

Here is a stock butt stock and one the I modified for table gun shooting. Deer Creek in Waldron Indiana carries kits, parts and complete rifles. He's the most reasonably priced dealer I have found.
0808201220.jpg

Latest posts

Back