• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for book recommendations on French flintlock muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a detailed utoob video detailing the making of a muzzleloader back in the day. You would have to do a search, I didn't save the video. It was very interesting. If I can find it again, I'll post it.
Yeah, just go to the NMLRA site and look for publications. Coty was the 1806 writer; Eric Bye is the guy who's name is on the cover. Muzzle Blasts is pub. by the NMLRA. It's a cool book; the French workday in the arsenals was 10-12 hrs., and skills are described in detail. I posted info on the book the other day. Let me know if you find it. It's about 21.95, I recall.

Selected Treatises on Gunmaking & Shooting from Nineteenth-Century Europe Translated by J. Ashby Morton & Eric Bye 2019 Pub. by NMLRA; Includes Manual on the Fabrication of Military Small Arms by H. Coty, 1806. So covers French musket mfg. just before the Napoleonic classic period.

Go to Holts auctioneers London We often get French Flint arms for auction often with good photos ......unfortunately they decided to charge to look at their archives like $60 a year, However you can get around this by going to google and digging around, you have just missed an auction so you might struggle but I unusually find what I want Type in Flintlocks at Holts auction I wish you well

I used to use the-saleroom.com a lot in the past. I see Holts in London are on it. I don't remember if I had to pay anything for access. It is a great auction portal with lots of good quality photos and live auctions every few days. Unfortunately as it is live people do get carried away sometimes and some items go for ridiculous prices.

The only problem with buying on auctions when located abroad is that you usually need a proper firearms dealer to pick up your purchase and arrange shipping. Even for obsolete firearms. Last time I checked prices for this service it started at £250. While most items of interest to me used to cost between £200-£1000. However, for non weapon items they are a good way to get deals. One just has to remember the final price will be 20~25% higher than bid due to various fees.

Latest posts

Back