• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for book recommendations on French flintlock muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironoxide

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've been looking for a book recommendation about French muskets (Charleville 1777, Corrige An IX etc). It doesn't have to be in English. French or German or Polish is fine too. I'm looking for some sort of a collector's reference.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for is by example. I have books such as
- "The Sharps Firearms" by Frank Sellers. If I found a book like that for French muskets I would be very happy. It contains many photos of orginals, internal parts, it demonstrates development in time as well as unusual individual items in various collections. It contains info on serial numbers and markings as well as when and how many were made, which military units got them. What happened afterwards etc. It is "The" sharps collector's reference.
- "Thoughts on Kentucky Rifle in its Golden age" another good book that includes lots of info.
- "Weapons of American Indians" this is a short book, but contains lots of very good photos. If I can't find a complete reference a book like this about French muskets would be great too.

I hope a book like this exists. If you know about one please do let me know even if it is rare and out of print.

These three come to mind:

Colonial Frontier Guns by T.M. Hamilton

Indian Trade Guns by Pioneer Press (can be tough to find)

French Military Weapons 1717-1938 by James Hicks

Fusil de Tulle in New France 1691-1741 by Bouchard (small pamphlet type book)

I've been looking for a book recommendation about French muskets (Charleville 1777, Corrige An IX etc). It doesn't have to be in English. French or German or Polish is fine too. I'm looking for some sort of a collector's reference.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for is by example. I have books such as
- "The Sharps Firearms" by Frank Sellers. If I found a book like that for French muskets I would be very happy. It contains many photos of orginals, internal parts, it demonstrates development in time as well as unusual individual items in various collections. It contains info on serial numbers and markings as well as when and how many were made, which military units got them. What happened afterwards etc. It is "The" sharps collector's reference.
- "Thoughts on Kentucky Rifle in its Golden age" another good book that includes lots of info.
- "Weapons of American Indians" this is a short book, but contains lots of very good photos. If I can't find a complete reference a book like this about French muskets would be great too.

I hope a book like this exists. If you know about one please do let me know even if it is rare and out of print.
Yeah, there's a book the Muzzle Blasts guys were selling, a translation from French, a period book about how muskets were mfg. I'll dig it up at home and post the info, was quite detailed as to how and why things were made back then. I think you want a modern take on the subject, but this might interest you eventually. Look up Muzzle Blasts magazine book sales, it must list it.

There is a French reference book -a set of books - that covers the first issue flintlocks up to the breech loaders. It’s illustrated in line drawings, if I can remember who published it I’ll let you know. It’s written in French. They had green covers…..

Yeah, there's a book the Muzzle Blasts guys were selling, a translation from French, a period book about how muskets were mfg. I'll dig it up at home and post the info, was quite detailed as to how and why things were made back then. I think you want a modern take on the subject, but this might interest you eventually. Look up Muzzle Blasts magazine book sales, it must list it.
There is a French reference book -a set of books - that covers the first issue flintlocks up to the breech loaders. It’s illustrated in line drawings, if I can remember who published it I’ll let you know. It’s written in French. They had green covers…..

That would be great thanks.

These three come to mind:

Colonial Frontier Guns by T.M. Hamilton

Indian Trade Guns by Pioneer Press (can be tough to find)

French Military Weapons 1717-1938 by James Hicks

Fusil de Tulle in New France 1691-1741 by Bouchard (small pamphlet type book)

I'll try to find as much as I can about them.

I also found the following pictures without mention where they are from. Does anyone recognise the source?
MODEL 1754_edited-3.jpg
MODEL 1746_edited-1.jpg
MODEL 1728_edited-1.jpg
M1754_edited-1.jpg
DSCN0038.JPG
DSCN0042.JPG

Sams last illustration would seem to be from Jean Boudroit 's compendiom' 'Cahiers '& I have a photo copied copy spare however ime in NZ and post is dear these days & they cost a lot doing them at Kinkos 25 years ago. But wheres theres a will theres a sobbng relation so wele see what we can do pm me
.Regards Rudyard

Great.

I managed to find a copy of "French Military Weapons 1717-1938" by James Hicks for an OK price online.

I also found the French book by Jean Boudroit in a library. I have to order it via a postal loan so it'll take a while to arrive, but I'll have it :)

For those looking for the same book I provide details of a newer reprint below:
ARMES A FEU FRANCAISES, LES ARMES A SILEX, VOL. 1-2 (French Edition)
ISBN-13: 9782865510337
ISBN-10: 2865510336
Author: JEAN, BOUDRIOT
Binding: Hardcover
Publisher: REGI ARM
Published: September 1997

Here are two more good resources on early flintlock firearms in France:
Selected Treatises on Gunmaking and Shooting from Nineteenth-Century Europe, translated by J. Ashby Morton and Eric Bye; 262 pages soft cover; available from the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, PO Box 67, Friendship, IN 47021

French Military Small Arms 1717 - 1865 by Didier Bianchi, translated by Eric Bye; 134 pages, many color photos; Andrew Mowbray Publishers, 54 E. School St., Woonsocket, RI 02895

Both of these are fine resources.

Here are two more good resources on early flintlock firearms in France:
Selected Treatises on Gunmaking and Shooting from Nineteenth-Century Europe, translated by J. Ashby Morton and Eric Bye; 262 pages soft cover; available from the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, PO Box 67, Friendship, IN 47021

French Military Small Arms 1717 - 1865 by Didier Bianchi, translated by Eric Bye; 134 pages, many color photos; Andrew Mowbray Publishers, 54 E. School St., Woonsocket, RI 02895

Both of these are fine resources.

Thanks.

I spoke too soon about the library. They happily confirmed the book can be loaned out, took the order, payment details etc, and came back few hours later saying nope, this is only available on site. :-(

Selected Treatises on Gunmaking and Shooting from 19th C. Europe. Translated by Morton &ye 2019.Pub. by; NMLRA, Friendship, In. Has "Manual on the Fabrication of Military Small Arms by H. Coty, France, 1806. Writer tells very detailed info on factory work and workers, but is not a modern take by a modern collector on antique guns. Other sections of the book are The Gun Expert Germany 1822 and The Shotgun Spain 1964. Worth the money!

For mostly civilian guns, some overlap w military, consider The French Trade Gun in North America 1662 – 1759, Kevin Gladysz paper back ©2011
I have good luck finding both new and older books at abebooks.com

Great. Thanks. I too use abebooks.com a lot. Often a much better deal can be found than on amazon.

A tip about Abebooks. When you find a title you are looking for, take the time to find the phone number or email and reach out to the seller personally. I have had good luck getting a good deal this way.

Selected Treatises on Gunmaking and Shooting from 19th C. Europe. Translated by Morton &ye 2019.Pub. by; NMLRA, Friendship, In. Has "Manual on the Fabrication of Military Small Arms by H. Coty, France, 1806. Writer tells very detailed info on factory work and workers, but is not a modern take by a modern collector on antique guns. Other sections of the book are The Gun Expert Germany 1822 and The Shotgun Spain 1964. Worth the money!
Springfield Art - Do you have any idea where to begin looking for a copy? Tried Google search and got literally a million sources for military arms but nothin under Coty.
I am personally quite interested in exactly how 18th - 19th century firearms were made. The one good book I have is: Harper’s Ferry and the New Technology, Merritt Roe Smith, ©1977 The one thing of interest to this site, IMHO, is that if one likes to shoot original US muskets, Springfield have much more reliable barrels (Better forge-welded) than do Harpers Ferry.

Springfield Art - Do you have any idea where to begin looking for a copy? Tried Google search and got literally a million sources for military arms but nothin under Coty.
I am personally quite interested in exactly how 18th - 19th century firearms were made. The one good book I have is: Harper’s Ferry and the New Technology, Merritt Roe Smith, ©1977 The one thing of interest to this site, IMHO, is that if one likes to shoot original US muskets, Springfield have much more reliable barrels (Better forge-welded) than do Harpers Ferry.
I watched a detailed utoob video detailing the making of a muzzleloader back in the day. You would have to do a search, I didn't save the video. It was very interesting. If I can find it again, I'll post it.

That would be great thanks.

I'll try to find as much as I can about them.

I also found the following pictures without mention where they are from. Does anyone recognise the source?
View attachment 85989View attachment 85990View attachment 85991View attachment 85992View attachment 85993View attachment 85994
The Top photos are from "Battle Weapons of The American Revolution" by George C Neuman. That's a very, very good book to get for the price - covers many items but has a lot of detail and pictures.

That's the video that was mentioned.

It is really good. Despite it was made in the 1920's the lighting inside the workshops is better than in some modern blacksmithing videos :)

Regarding abebooks. Thanks for the tip OldMaineWoodsman. I should have thought about it before. I could have gotten better deals.

The Top photos are from "Battle Weapons of The American Revolution" by George C Neuman. That's a very, very good book to get for the price - covers many items but has a lot of detail and pictures.

I managed to get the book on Abebooks for $8! On amazon it costs over $100. Shipping it to me across the pond was only $17. Wow.

For international buyers on Abebooks. If there is more than one seller for a given book it always is a good idea to check shipping rates. For example I found a copy for $7, but international shipping was $75 for an economy option.

Go to Holts auctioneers London We often get French Flint arms for auction often with good photos ......unfortunately they decided to charge to look at their archives like $60 a year, However you can get around this by going to google and digging around, you have just missed an auction so you might struggle but I unusually find what I want Type in Flintlocks at Holts auction I wish you well

Back