• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for an original Colt 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some years ago II lived in Sylmar CA, a suburb of Los Angeles. At that time I was married and had assembled a pretty respectable antique gun collection, alnything made before 1870. When I got divorced I had to sell the house and all of my collection. Now 20yrs later I'm again interested in collecting antique arms, specifically a Colt 1860 Army revolver. But the market has changed considerably since then, prices for Colt revolvers have skyrocketed and many if not most of the examples at GunBroker are pretty much overpriced clunkers.
When I was collecting 20yrs ago gun shows were the best place to find good guns at reasonable prices and negotiating was a part of the exchange. With COVID that too has changed, not many if any gun shows in my area of NE. If you were looking for a Civil War era Colt 1860 Army where would you look ? I've perused Guns International as an option to GB but I'm wondering if there are other reputable online purveyors of antique arms that some of you fellas may have used in the past ? I should mention I can't afford examples in pristine condtion as they command 4-5 figures. I'm just lookig for a 100% original no-finish example in good mechanical condition. Any suggestions from the membership ?

Here in UK we have a great interest in antique US firearms, in particular, those between 1840 and 1890. I'm afraid that you are going to have to readjust your sights somewhat regarding outlay - the days of 100% original Colts for less than substantially into four figures are as one with Tyre and Nineveh.

However, of all the dealers here in UK, one, IMO, stands head and shoulder above all others - Pete Holder. I dealt with him just once, back in the 80's, and he was 100% straight up and down. Here in UK reputable dealers are ten a penny, but he is the MAN.

Here's is a photo from one of his pages - if there is nothing there to pique your interest, then you might as well be dead.

1615301414941.png

PM me for further details if you are interested - I have no connection, BTW, except as a happy customer.

Some years ago II lived in Sylmar CA, a suburb of Los Angeles. At that time I was married and had assembled a pretty respectable antique gun collection, alnything made before 1870. When I got divorced I had to sell the house and all of my collection. Now 20yrs later I'm again interested in collecting antique arms, specifically a Colt 1860 Army revolver. But the market has changed considerably since then, prices for Colt revolvers have skyrocketed and many if not most of the examples at GunBroker are pretty much overpriced clunkers.
When I was collecting 20yrs ago gun shows were the best place to find good guns at reasonable prices and negotiating was a part of the exchange. With COVID that too has changed, not many if any gun shows in my area of NE. If you were looking for a Civil War era Colt 1860 Army where would you look ? I've perused Guns International as an option to GB but I'm wondering if there are other reputable online purveyors of antique arms that some of you fellas may have used in the past ? I should mention I can't afford examples in pristine condtion as they command 4-5 figures. I'm just lookig for a 100% original no-finish example in good mechanical condition. Any suggestions from the membership ?
Try Rock Island Auctions for something more reasonably priced. And better condition than what I’m seeing on gb.

I have a first year production 1860 Army SN924 with fluted cylinder, but it has a 4 figure price tag on it if you are still interested?IMG_2287.JPG

Back