• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Advice on a First Blackpowder Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadof8

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I am a first time poster on this list and a blackpowder hunter wannabe.

I'm looking for advice for my first foray into the muzzleloading world. I've been doing research and am interested in a percussion, .54 cal. rifle of the Mountain Man/Hawkens era. I don't want fancy brass, but more plain type furniture and a half-stock. I'm also only interested in roundball bullets, so a slower twist is in order. I love the looks of the carbines, but most of those seem to be of the higher twist variety. I also would like a double trigger configuration.

So far, I've found the Lyman Great Plains Rifle as typical of the look that I would like to get and is in the right price range. However, if anyone has other suggestions, I'm open to hear them.

I know this last "wish" is probably dreaming, but in addition to the above, if this rifle could have an interchangeable .32 cal barrel, I would be set.

I'm interested in hunting squirrel and whitetail deer in the state of Missouri. I don't ever see myself going out west for an elk or mule deer hunt. I would also be interested in attending rondevous and participating in BP shooting events.

I realize this is a tall order to fill, but hey, a fella has to dream.

Dadof8

If you are looking for a gun that closely follows the looks of the originals the LGP is about ythe only thing available in a production gun, Deer Cr. has some that are clones of the old CVA Mt. Rifle but I think they are kit only and I am not sure of quality bit have not heard any thimng bad. the Lyman is a great gun for the money, Mid South shooters supply is usualy the best price on the Lyman, the kit will be a few bucks less, is easy to assemble and can give you the chance to have something a "cut above" the factory assembled gun, I have known of peole haveing problems with the flintlock but the cappers are reliable locks.

IMHO, the Lyman GPR is the best buy for the buck. Reliable good shooter & never lets me down. As for the locks, I have had a GPR flintlock for years & never had a problem with it. No, it is not a Chambers or a Siler, but it has not failed me & does an effective job.
As for the .32 drop-in barre, I don't know of one for it but if you decide to buy a GPR you can get a barrel made for it in .32 however, I think even better idea is to buy a Crocket .32 cal and have two good shootin rifles & few $ invested.

Check out Track of the Wolf, if I remember right they will modify a Green Mountain barrel to fit the GPR.

I too just got into the sport of ML and purchased a Lyman GPR in .54cal. From mid south. It's a great gun, can't believe how accurate it is. You can change barrels with the hunter barrel if you want to. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the deep curved butt plate. Depending on what you are wearing it doesn't fit right to the shoulder. Just my opinion, and I still shoot it great. I've put less than 75 balls thru it and I'm grouping under three inches at fifty yards.

Get that buttplate more over in the arm and not the shouder and it will fit better and bite softer.

As TG said, get the buttplate off your shoulder and against your upper arm. Also don't get your face down on the cheekpiece. Place it about your jaw and keep your head more upright. Getting used to these changes will change everything for the better when shooting this gun. Including finding the sights quickly and shouldering when wearing heavy clothes.
I have heard that the deep curved butt plate was originally designed that way for hiding behind a tree while shooting at someone shooting back. That is why it fits the upper arm.

".....the deep curved butt plate was originally designed that way for hiding behind a tree while shooting at someone shooting back....."

I had read that the curve was a design to enable the butt to be rested down in a stirrup while reloading seated on a horse.....dunno

tg & Darkhorse are both right. That pretty crescent buttplate isn't made for shooting like the modern rifles. If I forget and put my 54 Leman with it's deep crescent in the "pocket" on my shoulder I pay for it. It's like shooting a rifle with a pitchfork for a buttstock.

Vic

quote:Originally posted by roundball:
I had read that the curve was a design to enable the butt to be rested down in a stirrup while reloading seated on a horse.That makes since, if you are loading from horseback, you can hook the butt plate over your boot or stirrup to aid loading.

The last thing you would want is for the loaded muzzleloader to slip out of the and stirrup and shoot yourself or your horse, or both on its way down...
(and as we all know, people did get shot by "unprimed" guns)

I have never heard the theory about the curved butt plate being designed for loading on horseback.
I have always been under the impression that horseback loading was utilized only as an emergency and then an unpatched ball was used. I have a lot of experience with our four legged beasts of burden and cannot concieve of trying to short start a tight ball or ramming it down while mounted, especially at the trot or gallop. Add some fouling to the bore and it even gets worse. Then add cold temps to that fouling and it would get really tough to do. Espcially while dodging arrows and musket balls.
I remember a couple of mornings when reloading after a shot I could not start the patch and ball because the ground was too soft. I had to find a log to stand on and place the butt on that log. Of course I do shoot a tight patch and ball.

It may be more speculation than theory, but it would be a bit of a pain to dismount every time you need to reload...

Fox hunters uses to do a lot of horseback shooting, back in the day...

I think the barrel "shortening" in the Mt Man period was more of a style/weight related thing than for use on horse. the horse was used extensively in the east during the peak of the long rifle use and it apparently was not a problem, I think a trend toward shorter barrels may have begun before the Mt mens time...model 1803HF rifle as an example. Indians reportedly cut off barrels for horse back use and their bows, lances and war clubs went through an evolution after the introduction of the horse. There was a definite military shortening for calvary but that went back a long time.

The theory 'bout the curved butt plate makes sense to me, after all wasn't the "length of barrel" shortened for better horse-back carry and convience.

I don't ee why you couldn't easily load a ML on horseback, especially with a sharp buttplate to sit in the stirrup.. You just put powder in & push a patched RB in with your thumb. They didn't use short starters, the muzzle was coned or they used a ball/patch combo that they could start easily by hand.

I seem to put the butt plate in the upper arm area. I guess it is just feeling funny compared to a modern rifle. Thanks!

I hope your question was answered.
confused.gif

Sorry I've not replied. I've been up to my neck in children's Christmas programs.

This has been more than helpful. Y'all have given me a lot to think about. As soon as I get through the holiday season, I'm going to be making some decisions regarding what I want to do for my first gun.

I can't believe the generosity that has been offered. I'll be in contact with some of you for more info.

Since we homeschool our children, I foresee field trips to the Lewis and Clark Museum underneath the Arch in St. Louis and a trip to the Daniel Boone home, both within 30 minutes of where I live. Three of my children are studying that time period, so my wife should be happy with my renewed enthusiasm to help with the school work.

Dadof8

QUOTE BY: Dadof8
"Since we homeschool our children, I foresee field trips to the Lewis and Clark Museum underneath the Arch in St. Louis and a trip to the Daniel Boone home, both within 30 minutes of where I live."

Muzzleloading is "HANDS ON" history...
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back