• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a Smoothbore builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like some names of the top $6000 builders of 1760-1790 smooth bore, would prefer no more than a one year wait time to start build. I don't want to much drop, want .58-.62 cal barrel. I would have to talk to the builder as far as fittings, carving, wood and etc.

I want length of pull 12 1/2-13" which is short for a lot of people. I want something that fits me right that was why I had said $6000 builder. I'm wanting something a very rich New England or English Merchant would have to show off.

Last edited:
A lot depends on what you’re looking for. I’d not start with such a wide net as “smoothbore”. Pick a historic period and style that’s appealing.

Hudson Valley fowler? Ken Gahagan, Mike Brooks, Ken Netting. It’s possible none are taking on work. But, these are usually big bore guns.

Something nice, and English? Dave Person, 3 years out.

New England fowler? Eric Von Aschwege (not sure he’s taking work). Mike Brooks if he’s taking work. I’m making them but more in the $2500-$3000 range.

Club-butt fowler? Mike Brooks as above. I’ve got 3 planned and will keep 1.

Pennsylvania fowler? Depends on Lancaster, York, Berks, Bucks, Lehigh,,or Allentown/ Christians Spring. But Allen Martin, Mark Wheland, Brian Lemaster and others come to mind. I’ve got one or two more Fainot (of Lancaster) builds in me.

Trade gun? You don’t need to spend that much.

I would like some names of the top $6000 builders of 1760-1790 smooth bore, would prefer no more than a one year wait time to start build. I don't want to much drop, want .58-.62 cal barrel. I would have to talk to the builder as far as fittings, carving, wood and etc.
A lot depends on what you’re looking for. I’d not start with such a wide net as “smoothbore”. Pick a historic period and style that’s appealing.
This is really good advice before you even start looking for names.

Don't really think you will find a top builder of a 6k range gun with less than a year wait unless he's selling one of his prior builds for the widow of one of his past customers.

My personal favorite is Mike Miler, maybe because I know him and have watched him work and he has answered all my stupid questions. It has been said that if you order a gun from him, just put away $100 a month and by the time you get your gun you will have the money to pay him. Probably should make that $150 now. If you want a $6000 gun that is worth $6000 you will have to wait a long time.

Wife was a CPA and knew how to invest. We have decided to spend some on what we want. I tell the kids I am not leaving them a dine, if something is there when I die they got lucky.

I have always like flints but work and life got in the way of me buying a custom built. I don't know much about smooth bores but think that is what I want as it will take anything I want to hunt. I have started buying books on then.

Wife was a CPA and knew how to invest. We have decided to spend some on what we want. I tell the kids I am not leaving them a dine, if something is there when I die they got lucky.

I have always like flints but work and life got in the way of me buying a custom built. I don't know much about smooth bores but think that is what I want as it will take anything I want to hunt. I have started buying books on then.
Nothing wrong with treating yourself.

I found this book helpful when I first came across non military smoothbores:
FLINTLOCK FOWLERS, the First Guns Made in America, photos of rare very early American guns, 1700 to 1820, soft bound, 248 pages, by Tom Grinslade - Track of the Wolf

I'm your huckleberry ! :).

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670634972484~2.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670634972484~2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
Another vote for Mike Brooks. Though I don't know what his current wait time is . . . I would say it is worth it.

https://mikebrooksflintlocks.com/
He made my 16 bore 42" swamped barrel fowler and came out right at 7 lbs. Just a joy to carry and use. Both for whitetail with ball and ruffed grouse with shot. I shot it 30 times in one session only loading and priming the pan to see if it could; not even wiping off the frizzen or pan. It did. No misfires. He also made it to the dimensions I supplied of my favorite Ithaca/SKB 280e .20 gauge and it comes up on point like it should.

yeI81IU.jpg

The walnut has to be seen in daylight to be appreciated.

guRzgF4.jpg

Last edited:

I want length of pull 12 1/2-13" which is short for a lot of people. I want something that fits me right that was why I had said $6000 builder. I'm wanting something a very rich New England or English Merchant would have to show off.
I'm no top echelon builder but I can make you an authentic hand made , no spindal shaper made stock , trade gun .... Give me a holler if your interested , we can hash out the details

Attachments

• IMG_20221127_123517.jpg
    IMG_20221127_123517.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Another vote for Mike Brooks. Though I don't know what his current wait time is . . . I would say it is worth it.

https://mikebrooksflintlocks.com/
He made my 16 bore 42" swamped barrel fowler and came out right at 7 lbs. Just a joy to carry and use. Both for whitetail with ball and ruffed grouse with shot. I shot it 30 times in one session only loading and priming the pan to see if it could; not even wiping off the frizzen or pan. It did. No misfires. He also made it to the dimensions I supplied of my favorite Ithaca/SKB 280e .20 gauge and it comes up on point like it should.

yeI81IU.jpg

The walnut has to be seen in daylight to be appreciated.

guRzgF4.jpg
I'm pretty sure he's retired. Only selling brass now.

Back