• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a range rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldarith

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey friends,

I am looking for a T-Handle range rod with a metal handle (afraid a polymer or plastic handle will break if I have to pull a ball).

What I want is a brass rod with 8-32 or 10-32 threads. I want to be able to buy a couple kits so that I can make it long enough for something like a three-band or short enough for a musketoon.

Any suggestions?
It's 'easier' if it's available on Amazon (I'm in Canada) but happier to support a smaller business.

51RHGVmSuiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On Jan 22, 2021 “Artificer” posted an excellent thread about making exactly the item you are looking for
Do a search on this forum for ” universal ball pulling/cleaning take down rod”
PS i made one and it works on my Southern Mountain Rifle that has a 46” barrel.

If your interested in buying a premade rod Track of the Wolf has some nice 5/16" stainless rods, they come with a muzzle protector.

I've got the 44" long rod with 10/32 threads and use it for each of my muzzleloaders at the range. Very sturdy and even though its not a T handle I've had no problem using it to pull a ball

Ramrod, 5/16" stainless, 44" long rod, Creedmoor, rigid handle, 10-32 thread - Track of the Wolf

(Edit: didn't see the part about Canada, though I wouldnt think it would be an issue although probably cheaper to make your own)

Only 4 looking for a range rod topics in the 1st page,,,, of 10 pages, of a search for that sentence.

A wood rod won't break pulling a ball, especially if you are pulling in a straight line,,, a couple timber hitches thrown on it with the other end tied to some thing solid, pull straight back on the gun,,,, no broken rid, and a lot more pulling power. A delrin ramrod won't break. Most won't. And while nice, if one uses the cordage and timber hitch trick, the t-handle isn't all that necessary to pull a ball.

Maybe a .50 cal machine gun cleaning rod should come as a free gift to all new members of this "Keeping Tradition Alive," Muzzleloading forum.

I second Whitworths' suggestion of a US .50 Cal rod. You can get adapters that will bring the thread at the tip to 8/32 or 10/32. They are lighter than the brass rods, and take a variety of tips.

M2 .50 cal cleaning rod can be found on ebay, just add a simple plumbing fitting for muzzle guide and your good !

Attachments

• 20171016_173110.jpg
    20171016_173110.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 54
  • 20171016_173139.jpg
    20171016_173139.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 55
  • 192356545218_1.jpg.jpg
    192356545218_1.jpg.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 60
You can make one. A length of 3/8s steel rod drilled and tapped on both ends for whatever size you prefer. You can make or buy a T handle, then thread it on one end, and your favorite accessory on the other. That's what I did. Cost me less than $10.00, as I already had everything but the T handle.

I bought a length of 3/8" brass rod at Fastenal for my .50 rangers, tapped both ends for attachments as needed

I mean I respect what you are saying, Brokennock.
The thing is I am looking for a range rod, something I can pack into a small bag if I am going to the range so that I don't have to card around any full length rod not attached to a firelock.

If I need to help someone else pull a ball and they're not equipped, this thing needs to be able to do the job.

I assume there is a good historical precedent that I could look into - What would you suggest, in keeping with the tradition?

As a sectionalized cleaning rod for your muzzleloading rifle, it will be hard to find a better rod than the US 50 caliber cleaning rod. There is a main section and four attachments to make a 48" cleaning rod. Its in the tradition of use on the Forum and by many other users.

USGI Cleaning Rod M2 50 Caliber 5 pc Military USA 1005-00-653-5441 NEW | eBay

As a disclaimer, I use the one piece cleaning rods. Probably because I didn't run across one of these rods when I was looking for a range rod.

I mean I respect what you are saying, Brokennock.
The thing is I am looking for a range rod, something I can pack into a small bag if I am going to the range so that I don't have to card around any full length rod not attached to a firelock.

If I need to help someone else pull a ball and they're not equipped, this thing needs to be able to do the job.

I assume there is a good historical precedent that I could look into - What would you suggest, in keeping with the tradition?
Anything but that .50 BMG rod,,,,, just because I'm sick of reading about it here. Lol.

While a T handle can be very useful, don't get hung up on it (pun intended) as a necessity. I've pulled balls,,,, from muzzleloader barrels, with just the gun's own wooden rod using the cordage and timber hitch method,,, it can be done. A thicker metal rod would be the same, just not as nerve racking worrying it might break.
I rarely need a range rod anymore,,,,, that may be partly because I only have smoothbores now. But, I bring one of my overlong delrin rods anyway when I head to the range. It is a long walk from our parking area to the rifle range. I swab the bore with a patch or two wet with alcohol before leaving the house. I carry the rod from the truck to the range,,,,,,, in the barrel of the gun. A dry patch on the cleaning jag stuck down to the breach keeps the rod there for the walk and helps dry any leftover alcohol or lube. So, there are workarounds for 1 piece, long, range rods.

That said, I forget, what length do you need? I have a sectionalized stainless shotgun cleaning rod, thicker than your average Hoppes shotgun rod, with a brass handle that is of greater diameter than the rest of the rod. If it is long enough to serve your needs,,,, I don't use it.....

Latest posts

Back