• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a good book about knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbrown_2000

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been a member for several years but I do not post very often. So hello, everyone!

I am wondering if any of you can recommend a good book (or even website) for describing and documenting edged weapons...say from the 1740s to the 1830s. Looking at it from the North American perspective...French, English, American, or Canadian.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I don't think you will find much in that time frame. Bits, and mentions here and there, but I doubt a book.

Google Scavengeology. Check out their research links. There are some about early French knives and axes. Might be a bit earlier than you are interested in. Although, I don't think much had changed.

Scott- you beat me to it.

I've been a member for several years but I do not post very often. So hello, everyone!

I am wondering if any of you can recommend a good book (or even website) for describing and documenting edged weapons...say from the 1740s to the 1830s. Looking at it from the North American perspective...French, English, American, or Canadian.

Any help will be much appreciated.[/QUOTE

I hold two books that may have some information - both are from the early 80s when research standards were less rigorous than today but you have to start somewhere and these authors did not have a lot of previous works or the internet to help them out. If I ever run out of projects, I might write a reference work on stirrups in N. America - I am not aware of any such book - but my best effort would still be full of omissions & some guesses, so please don't think that I am being overly critical of Madison & Minnis. Anyway, the books are:

"The Knife in Homespun America" by Madison Grant in 1984
"American Primitive Knives 1770 -1870" by Gordon B. Minnis in 1983

Interlibrary loan should get you either.

Back