• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a good 1st Model Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redleg130th

32 Cal.
Reaction score
or second model less prefered. From the pictures I have seen the first model has more ornate brass and I like the longer musket. From reading, it seems that a 1st model would be more versitile for re-enacting if I chose to do so later.

I find the selection confusing though - it seems that the only two sources for first model are Loyalist Arms http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/firstmodelbess-frenchinfantry1728.html for US $610 and the Military Heritage version http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket10.htm for $539 (!).

The images of the Military Heritage verision show a very beautiful musket (to my unfamiliar eye), plus I much prefer the steel ramrod as a wooden one seems to delicate to me.

There is also the Pedersoli model two in kit form for $700 that looks like it would be fun to build, but I would prefer the 1st model if I can get a nice one.

I have found only one review - http://www.revwarprogressive.org/articles/loyalistreview.html and it seems to be critical of the Loyalist and Pedersoli. Which brings me to the Military Heritage, which seems like such a great deal for the money.

I am prepared to spend arround $1000 for a nice Brown Bess, of course spending $539 would be great if I end up with a nice quality and safe shooter. Being historicaly accurate enough to re-enact with if I choose to is important as well. My local smith can surely handle drilling the vent (although his favorite to work on is the M1 Garand, also my favorite modern arm).

So this brings me to the question, What is the best value Brown Bess out there? Good quality, safe to shoot, and reenactment useable would be my priorities.

Also, I am not dead set against the 2nd Model if it is much better for some reason.

Any help is appriciated.

You have good taste in muskets by wanting a Bess. I would advise you to do your homework before purchasing, which it seems you already are. Your here right. Check the past threads on Indian made muskets cause there has reportedly been problems
with the breach plug threads that can be unpredictable dangerous. There is, as someone else has pointed out, a second model on Ebay right now. Its a Pedersoli and is @ 450.00 so far. Cabelas also has a good price on them. If you dont want to spend the money for a custom made gun, Pedersoli seems to be the way to go if you can live with a second model Bess. :m2c:

Missed this post - http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=12120&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Includes a statement from Military Heritage themselves, one review from an owner who only critizised the wood. For my purposes, as long as the wood is strong and is acceptable for reenacting it is fine by me. The pictures on the Military Heritage site show a really nice, rich looking stock. I don't know the differences between differnt woods and their appearances.

Military Heritage looks better and better all the time.

Edit, I just realized the Military Heritage models are Indian made - I have read several critizisims of these in various places. :curse:

I got a Springfield 1861 from Cabelas, made by Armi-Sport. It was OK, but I was slightly disapointed by it.

This is tough :boohoo:

Edit 2, Third choice - pre drilled.
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/M1BB.shtml

The confusion I think is I see some statements that the Italian made muskets are awful - some say they are the best. Is this becuase of inconsitant manufactureing, or different expectations of the reviewers? I have seen consistantly poor reviews of Indian muskets, of which the ~$500 range Besses fall into.

My thoughts about Military Heritage

I just got back from a Reenactment. My unit was at the River of Time in Bay City, MI. I have to say that my family had a blast, and I got a couple of stinking salvages scalps.

Anyways, about your need for a musket. Many of the guys in our unit have bought the 1742 1st model from Military Heritage. As a unit we have not had a problem with any of our weapons. In fact many old timers are impressed with the details of these weapons. The only complaint I have is with the spring. I think they used a truck spring in there, because it

Hallo pvt_McCracken!!
I too, was at River Of Time, I think you belong to the F&I 42d?? Anywho... I think your dead on about the Military Heritage longland. You may have seen that Sailor (Shelly) that falls in with us carries one and has reported not one misfire this whole season! Very happy with it.
A note; ALL the lower end longland Besses are from India!! That goes for Loyalist Arms and Middlesex. The differnce is in how well the Candian supplier (yeah, they're ALL Canadian) tunes them, and finishes the wood. Shellys' wood is very dark, much darker than my walnut Pedersoli, but looks good. I think she had someone work on the spring because it's a lot easier to draw the cock back than it was at first.
Also, about 'our'(Grants 42d) main springs breaking... my Pedersolis' main spring broke at my 2nd event (Midland) and after fitting her with a better spring, no problem. Another thing that we've learned is NOT to leave the musket at half cock!! That just adds stress to it needlessly.
Another thing to consider is what period of re-enacting your doing... F&I you want the longland, RevWar, you can get by with one, but the 2nd model is more acurate to the time period. i believe that E-Bay Pedersoli is a 3rd model, usfull for 1812 and neapolionic eras.
:redthumb:

Thank you guys, I feel much better about getting a Middlesex, Military Heritage, or Loyalist - they look like they are made from the same maker (India).

I dont see much hope for reenactment in Kansas - all Royal units are far away :( That is what I would be interested in.

I am starting to get involved with Union Civil War reenacting, it is alot of fun. When I got my Springfield 1861 my wife loved it and wanted one so she got the Remington 1863. Hopefully she loves flint and gets a Charlieville or Springfield flint. :).

If I ever do manage to find a unit within tolerable driving distance I would get a Short Land musket, I just really like the look of the Long Land for some reason - Just seems more ornate.

Now I cant wait to get home to get it - It is my treat for my homecoming from Iraq. :D

Loyalist and Discriminating General are from Canada, but Middlesex Trading Company is here in the U.S. in New Hampshire. You can get one from them for less than the others, and theirs come with a bayonet, sling, hammerstall, and flashguard. Also, the vent can be drilled by them as they do not have to send them from Canada.

Now I cant wait to get home to get it - It is my treat for my homecoming from Iraq. :D

May I just say, and I think I speak for all, if not most of us on this forum, thank you, thank you, and thank you for doing a dangerous job for your country, we think and pray for you brave men and women over there every day. God speed!

Redleg,
Ditto what was said re your honourable service. Men, and women, like you make us very proud! Once one dons "the green cloth" he is worthy of a fine Bess and a long and happy life. Every day from here on out is "gravy" ( One shot). Make the most of it. Marry, if not already, and please produce more of you kind! Hug your mother who probably didn't sleep the whole time you were away. Take the "old man" hunting with you. (Never thought I'd say this to a redleg, or redcoat!! Old dogs can learn new tricks!)

If I wasn't too old I'd snap a salute at you, but I'd probably break something! :master:

Back