• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

looking for a custom builder in western to central Pa.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy1

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a custom gun, but hopping to do it close to home, so I could possibly see some of their guns and what I would prefer to have. I was originally look in at a semi custom company that we all know, but reports seem like they are loosening up on Qc to stay competitive at their price and keep up with production. Don’t know if it’s realistic to get a full custom for $3000, but I’m not looking for any super fancy inlays or carving. Just a hunting gun to be proud of, that fits my hunting needs. It will possibly be my lifelong Pa flintlock gun. That said, I’m left handed, so that’s a must. Any recommendations on builders from western to central Pennsylvania that might fit my needs/budget? Thanks!

Check out Ft. Chambers gun shop in Chambersburg Pa. I do not know how close you are to there, but 3 years ago I was looking just like you. Visited Jim at the shop he always has a few weapons as you mentioned. Also he put me in touch with a builder in Harrisburg Pa. End results was a custom 62. ca. left hand Christian springs style rifle based on Anadreas Albrecht styling, very nice wood and some carving, sliding wood patch box. The only thing I insisted on was a all iron mounted rifle, while this is not proper for the period the rifle would date to I like iron mounted weapons. It has been a while and I will look to see if I can find the builders name really nice fellow and in the price range you mentioned.

There are loads of guys who build very nice guns. The bigger the name the higher the ticket price. If you have no idea of the style and look you want the you're into money. There are several companies building locks, barrels trigger sets and types, caliber etc. If you aren't familiar with some of it, you'll have to let the builder guide you and let your cash flow dictate what they'll do. I started with kits. Then in the white kits to semi completed phases to the full monte. But, I built guns just for myself and only sold them when I wanted something else. The last I built was an Early Lancaster 1994 and now I have an in the white project of a smooth rifle that is a match to my rifle. Good luck on the search.

Latest posts

Back