• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a compact long range small caliber blackpowder pistol for critters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meant to say mid range not long please re comment.
Well, Ok,,
But you need to re-state what you want a small pistol to do.
What are you actually seeking?
Do you want target? Do you want carry? Do you want a novelty or uniqueness?
What kind of functionality do you want?

Since You didn't mention , if You are looking for a single or multishot pistol , I'd recommend a Ruggles style underhammer pistol in .31 , absolutely PC !
Personaly , I shoot a such one even in contest . Being a buggy gun , I never tried it with its detachable stock .
The tiny RB accelerates with its 6,5 gr Swiss 1 to astoningly high speed , the bullets in the bullet trap look like round stamps , I think , the energy would be sufficient for even bigger critters !
Unfortunately , there are no such made today , but a good tinkerer or mechanic should be able , to build one , it's not too hard .
Including this one , I've already made over a dozen similar pistols for shooting buddies , who even shoot them at World Championships !
I use discarded .308 supermatch barrels , with a thin patch , spit and a .290 RB , these work out pretty fine !

View attachment 77637View attachment 77638View attachment 77639

View attachment 77640

This is the target which I shot last Sunday feehand at 50m ...

If You need help for such a project , feel free to contact me !

Rgds , enfield

WOW! Black powder zip guns. Neat.

Not to diminish Bill's skill, but I bet there was a bit of "good luck" involved there. At moment of ignition, I bet he was thinking, "...this better work!..."
Not really, I'm 70 and can usually hit my 75 yard Davis Tutt steel torso silhouette at least half the time with my1851 Navy. Last round my brother scored 4 out of six, to my 2 hits :( but then again he's only 67😅

Spiders are critters, just ask my wife o_O
I knocked a big ugly spider off my jacket after walking into a web while squirrel hunting one evening. It landed in the leaves and I followed his egress with a load of squirrel shot. VAPE-OH-RIZED that nasty thing right there. Your wife ain't the only one who hates spiders.

I knocked a big ugly spider off my jacket after walking into a web while squirrel hunting one evening. It landed in the leaves and I followed his egress with a load of squirrel shot. VAPE-OH-RIZED that nasty thing right there. Your wife ain't the only one who hates spiders.
Cool.

Well, Ok,,
I would like one not to carry,more like pull out of my box and set up by tree and take out critters that cause issues like rats
Well, Ok,,
I would like one not to carry,more like pull out of my box and set up by tree and take out critters that cause issues like rats

Sam, I have a Charlie Burton .36 cal pistol barrel that is waiting for me to build a small game pistol out of it. It has deep rifling and I really ought to be ashamed. Too many projects too little time. I highly recommend the .36 caliber; it's smaller than it sounds, and I definitely recommend Charlie as a barrel maker, but you may have to wait a while, he's a one man shop.

Since there seems to be some interest in my Ruggles - style underhammers , please allow me to show You a little of the progress .

If You want to see more , please let me know .

These pistols are really not too hard to make , it only needs some files , a good hacksaw , emery paper and lots of elbow grease .
A lathe is also very helpful for shaping the ( round , front ) barrel profile , making screws , pistons etc.
I use exclusively REALLY old material from the 1850s - 1890s , which I mostly find on flea markets , the barrels I use come from discarded Swiss Martinis , but every small cal. and thick enough barrel should also be OK . ( 7/8" being ideal , more , if You want to file an octagon , like I normally do , since this is the correct PC shape , 7/8" over the flats )

k-Serie 1.jpg
k-Serie 2.jpg
k-Serie 3.jpg

Last edited:
"I was hoping to get help on finding one chambered in .22 or something small"

I have only seen one .22 pistol and that was a Friendship, it was used in the matches there.

He pulled bullets from .22 shells.

Not really, I'm 70 and can usually hit my 75 yard Davis Tutt steel torso silhouette at least half the time with my1851 Navy. Last round my brother scored 4 out of six, to my 2 hits :( but then again he's only 67😅
You young guys have got to brag. I am a 1930's model with almost all the original parts in fairlygood working order. My satisfaction is hitting a 6" KD target at 15 yards with an 1860 Amy snubby five out of five.
And do pretty much of the time
so there
Respectfully
Bunk

Since there seems to be some interest in my Ruggles - style underhammers , please allow me to show You a little of the progress .

If You want to see more , please let me know .

These pistols are really not too hard to make , it only needs some files , a good hacksaw , emery paper and lots of elbow grease .
A lathe is also very helpful for shaping the ( round , front ) barrel profile , making screws , pistons etc.
I use exclusively REALLY old material from the 1850s - 1890s , which I mostly find on flea markets , the barrels I use come from discarded Swiss Martinis , but every small cal. and thick enough barrel should also be OK . ( 7/8" being ideal , more , if You want to file an octagon , like I normally do , since this is the correct PC shape , 7/8" over the flats )

View attachment 78083View attachment 78084View attachment 78085
I though I had seen some pretty trick guns, but these guns hit the top of the list. How does the grip fasten on and will you please show pictures of the finished product?
I remain in In awe of your talent and guns
Bunk

I though I had seen some pretty trick guns, but these guns hit the top of the list. How does the grip fasten on and will you please show pictures of the finished product?
I remain in In awe of your talent and guns
Bunk

Thank You for Your compliments , which make me kind of proud !

The grip is fastened by but one single screw at the rear end of the grip . The front end of the grip has inlet two tiny pins , which enter two tiny holes in the rear end of the barrel , giving an absolute positive fix . After unturning out this screw , the complete grip can be slipped off .

Since I don't know , if there is any interest in the Ruggles construction , I'll be pleased to show some drawings , just let me know , if I should open an extra post .

Here You can see the first three of four finished pistols , and as You can see , they perform not too bad !

k-Serie 8.jpg
k-IMG-20210211-WA0000.jpg
k-IMG-20210213-WA0004.jpg

Since I don't know , if there is any interest in the Ruggles construction , I'll be pleased to show some drawings , just let me know , if I should open an extra post .
Please do! Could you link it back here if you manage to get one up? Is that a sight leaf extending off the rear of one of them? If it is, boy is that sweet.

As with ALL of the ( to me known ) Ruggles - system pistols , ( made by the Ruggles - brothers or even someone having copied their construction ) , the " top strap / rear sight " extends off the rear of the steel " system " , giving a max. radius of sight length . It is adjustable in height , the front sight/blade in side , which makes a full adjustable sight .
This , besides the genious simplicity of the entire construction , led me to rebuild these gorgeous guns for competition shooting .

I'm not a hunter , ( I doubt , if I even could kill a living being ) , but as a pure target shooter , I swear upon the ruggedness of the VERY few parts and their deliability of this first patented US percussion gun ! ( 1828 )

Please feel free to watch my previous post

Ruggles Patent Underhammer Pistol

Rgds , enfield

As with ALL the Ruggles Pistols to my knowlage , the top strap / rear sight extends off back of the rear of the " system " , giving a max. radius of sight distance . The rear sight is adjustable in height and the front blade sidewards , giving a full adjustable sight .
This , besides the rudggedness and therefore deliability of the VERY few parts of these pistols led me to rebuild and shoot these pistols in competition .
I'm not a hunter ( I doubt , if even could kill a living being ) , but as a pure targeteer , I swear upon this construction , it being the FIRST percussion gun , which was patented in the US in 1828 !

If You like to learn a little more about them , please feel free to watch my post :

Ruggles Patent Underhammer Pistol

I'm using but PC materials , which I mostly find on flea markets or old shops , old technics and tools , as our ancestors did and had , too . My lathe is over 100 years old and my files are not too much younger , indeed ! Therefore , my pistols are , as I hope , as HC/PC as possible . Even the browning process with mild acids and the tanning of the wood with ironnitrate and the finish with linseed oil shoud be HC/PC

I don't want to make "fakes" but "originals " , only being made 200 years later ...

Sorry for having posted twice :ghostly:

Last edited:
Back