• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking at replacing a Bess stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioHawkeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings,
A friend in a Ranger group broke the stock of his Bess at the wrist. It is not repairable as it goes from the lock down to the lower grip area.

The Bess is a 2nd model long land,,,(42" barrel) I think a Veteran's arms... but he isn't picky. He just wants to replace the stock. Some minor woodworking is expected so a stock for any bess should do the job with a little modification. He wants to shorten it to a carbine also so length isn't an issue.

Problem is, we can't find any replacement stocks. Any ideas? We've (3 of us) looked and contacted the big 3 importers, looked at dixi, ToftheW, ....a couple others.

Thanks I'll check. Even Atlanta cutley and museum replicas who occasionally have such didn't show them. The guys called to verify just in case a couple pieces were laying about.

Greetings,
A friend in a Ranger group broke the stock of his Bess at the wrist. It is not repairable as it goes from the lock down to the lower grip area.

The Bess is a 2nd model long land,,,(42" barrel) I think a Veteran's arms... but he isn't picky. He just wants to replace the stock. Some minor woodworking is expected so a stock for any bess should do the job with a little modification. He wants to shorten it to a carbine also so length isn't an issue.

Problem is, we can't find any replacement stocks. Any ideas? We've (3 of us) looked and contacted the big 3 importers, looked at dixi, ToftheW, ....a couple others.

Alas,
the Dunlap product is made to fit Pedersoli parts. It's made using a master guide that is a modified Pedersoli stock, modified to adjust the angle of the butt of the stock to be better fitting for shooting live rounds. India origin parts such as those on a Veteran Arms Bess will likely not work....

Um..., Unless the stock was shattered, and a good portion of the wood went missing, that break is pretty common on Bess replicas, India or Italian. I've had to fix several over the years for regulars and rangers. There are a few tips to doing it, but I'd bet his is fixable.

LD

If its a pedesoli Carbine Bess, you can get a stock from Pedersoli for around $400.

My personal recomendation is to fix it or have it fixed or.

Part it out and sell it for what ever you can get for it, and buy a new musket.

Sorry to say you have only two options for an Indian made Bess - repair or restock from scratch. I checked with Dunlap when I bought a beat up Miroku Bess at auction and found out their replacement stocks fit only Pedersoli parts. I bought a nice walnut blank from a forum member plus the correct Short Land Pattern buttplate from Reeves Goering. By restocking I can correct all the dimensional issues that came with the factory Miroku stock.

Back