• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Look what I found

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went out to get a load of firewood this afternoon, and look what I found! It’s just a piece of firewood but it appears to be curly! And it’s black cherry! That’s right, not curly maple. It’s curly cherry! Obviously can’t make a gun stock from it, but I might try and do something with it, like ball boards or something. I went out to the pile and found another piece too.

Attachments

• E104EBD2-6C3A-40CA-AC1A-504E1C15C30F.jpeg
    E104EBD2-6C3A-40CA-AC1A-504E1C15C30F.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 120
  • E81D6A16-5D23-4594-BBD2-9B259C1FD397.jpeg
    E81D6A16-5D23-4594-BBD2-9B259C1FD397.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 114
A one hundred fifty + year old cherry tree from my Great Grandfather's farm supplied the wood for all the interior trim and boxing in all the sliding glass doors used as windows. The tree was in the yard and provided shade for family picnics The various grains in this wood was fantastic. Sadly it was all cut too thin for a gun stock, but I had 8 foot boards 16 inches wide. Surrounded by the cherry with i's happy memories is nice, shooting from it would be even cooler. Is it possible to glue 2 boards together to make a stock blank?

Run it through a planner, then slice it with a band saw. Knife scabs. Thick ones could be used for pistol grips.
Reverse the cut sides (left to right) and you have mated grain (sans kerf) showing on each side of the knife blade.
It lends kind of a neat affected appearance to a finished item.
I have mated sides of a Cherry burl piece I'm going to use just for that,,

Last edited:
A one hundred fifty + year old cherry tree from my Great Grandfather's farm supplied the wood for all the interior trim and boxing in all the sliding glass doors used as windows. The tree was in the yard and provided shade for family picnics The various grains in this wood was fantastic. Sadly it was all cut too thin for a gun stock, but I had 8 foot boards 16 inches wide. Surrounded by the cherry with i's happy memories is nice, shooting from it would be even cooler. Is it possible to glue 2 boards together to make a stock blank?

Not sure but I doubt it. Both pieces are pretty thin and have some cracks. Probably the only use out of these would be some of the suggestions above. Could probably get a few nice knife handles out of them.

my neighbor had a mulberry tree cut down about 5 years ago. there was plenty of it to use for anything. thought about a gunstock but when i checked online and it said that mulberry wasn't listed as a hard wood . i needed some of it to use in the smoker so i cut up a limb and saved it in a breathable bag to dry out. after 6 months i tried to chisel off little chunks and i was all day trying that. then i thought it would make good coasters. i know it's not super talented but they sure look good.
mulberry wood.jpg

I took down a black cherry two years ago and cut it up for firewood last year. There are lots of real purty, wavy, reddish pieces I have thrown in the fire.

If I had them I’d slice thin slices, book match and edge join them into wide enough pieces to veneer as tops for jewelry or music or gun boxes.
I’ve built an entire bed room set from black Cherry. One of my favorite woods for wood shop projects.

Latest posts

Back