• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Look what I found.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be usefully diluted or combined with finer powder? Is think the finer powder would set off the coarse stuff.
This is a dangerous practice if mixed with a very small grain powder some will ignite a lot quicker than the larger grain resulting in a barrel blowback and some may not ignite and fall to the ground unfired which I have witnessed many times in big bore fowlers when powder was mixed
Feltwad

I have several in opened 1/2 pound cans of Curtis and Harvey as well as a cork mining flask by them.

I'm not sure why that powder is no good, but it is not the kernel size. I checked some Goex red can Fg. Of course they are anything but round, but I'd say the bulk of the grains measured .060" up to .080". That is considerably larger than what you have, which is likely closer to FFg.

I used Fg in everything last year. 10 gauge, 16 gauge, 54 caliber, even the 44 caliber Ruger old army. Fg patterns better in the 10 gauge and 16 gauge, 54 caliber TC Renegade shoots more accurate with it. It works just as well as FFg in the ROA. Certainly no problem killing anything.

I'm not sure why that powder is no good, but it is not the kernel size. I checked some Goex red can Fg. Of course they are anything but round, but I'd say the bulk of the grains measured .060" up to .080". That is considerably larger than what you have, which is likely closer to FFg.

I used Fg in everything last year. 10 gauge, 16 gauge, 54 caliber, even the 44 caliber Ruger old army. Fg patterns better in the 10 gauge and 16 gauge, 54 caliber TC Renegade shoots more accurate with it. It works just as well as FFg in the ROA. Certainly no problem killing anything.
Dont know then.
Household coal burns quicker than this stuff!

I'll stick to my finer is best belief.
I dont believe a good pattern is achieved via kernel size anyway.

Hey Britt. Would you be so kind as to measure a few of each powder size you use till you are comfortable with average and let us know your favourite?
Walk

Here's a listing of black powder grain sizes I found on the web.

Powder GradeMesh SizeAverage Size in mm.
Fg12 mesh1.7 mm. (0.0661 in.)
FFg16 mesh1.18 mm. (0.0469 in.)
FFFg20 mesh0.85 mm. (0.0331 in.)
FFFFg40 mesh0.47 mm. (.019 in.)

Based on this, Brit's powder seems to be between FFg and Fg in size. Of course, size isn't what makes the power so if the powder he found didn't contain enough oxidizer in it, it would be weak and give the kind of results he found.

Here's a listing of black powder grain sizes I found on the web.

Powder GradeMesh SizeAverage Size in mm.
Fg12 mesh1.7 mm. (0.0661 in.)
FFg16 mesh1.18 mm. (0.0469 in.)
FFFg20 mesh0.85 mm. (0.0331 in.)
FFFFg40 mesh0.47 mm. (.019 in.)

Based on this, Brit's powder seems to be between FFg and Fg in size. Of course, size isn't what makes the power so if the powder he found didn't contain enough oxidizer in it, it would be weak and give the kind of results he found.
Thank you Zonie.

I'm not sure most Americans will understand your reference to the two finger salute. In the UK, it is a commonly used gesture, much like the one finger salute in the U.S.A.
Having lived in Kempston, Bedfordshire, I was totally immersed in the British culture. I totally get British humour and other bits that Yanks don't understand. It never has worn away, even after many years of being back in the colonies.
I should think not, but you never know.

I tried 80 grains of American 1Fg in a 20 bore (and folks indicate the stuff is close to 1Fg), and the Squirrel that I shot at gave me the two-finger salute before scampering off..., clearly the squirrel was an Anglophile as am I, as he used a British gesture, and not the American equivalent! 😅

LD

I used to amaze my grandchildren by cupping a handful of powder as I spoke in raving mystical tones around the campfire climaxed by my tossing it surreptitiously into the blaze. I so wish someone had captured the looks on the faces of those beautiful young children, it was priceless.
Robby.

Dont know then.
Household coal burns quicker than this stuff!

I'll stick to my finer is best belief.
I dont believe a good pattern is achieved via kernel size anyway.

Now probably isn't the best time, but the next time you buy powder, add a pound of Fg. Worst that happens is you are out 20 bucks. After trying all the grades that Goex has to offer, I am surprised at just how much an improvement Fg gives over FFg. I kind of expected that, as many have reported tighter patterns with Fg. Even more amazing was the first time I tried it in my 54 caliber rifle, and found it cut over an 1" off my 100 yard groups.

Just don't buy an more Henry powder. Swiss Fg is quite fine compared to Goex Fg.

Just sprinkle it under your tomato transplants, or even the seeds for that matter, you got some good fertilizer there.

Now probably isn't the best time, but the next time you buy powder, add a pound of Fg. Worst that happens is you are out 20 bucks. After trying all the grades that Goex has to offer, I am surprised at just how much an improvement Fg gives over FFg. I kind of expected that, as many have reported tighter patterns with Fg. Even more amazing was the first time I tried it in my 54 caliber rifle, and found it cut over an 1" off my 100 yard groups.

Just don't buy an more Henry powder. Swiss Fg is quite fine compared to Goex Fg.
A good pattern ain't worth nothing if there is insufficient power.
I'll stick to finer grades thanks.

Latest posts

Back