• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

LOOK AT THAT BUILD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been blown away by some of the gorgeous builds I have seen on here. Beautiful craftsman ship that becomes fine art. Just amazing. That being said, I have been thinking about trying to do one of those ML kits that are available out there. The BIG problem is that I only have a few screw drivers, a couple of hammers, a chop saw, power drill, (oh yes with bits) hand saw, tape measure, pencil and paper, duck tape, leaf blower and a lawnmower. I don't have a vice or any other power tools. Yes, that is a pathetic assortment. So, I guess I would need a whole modern workshop to do something like a kit build? Or is there some basic equipment that I could get away with, or farm some of it out, in order to get the job done? Thanks.

One of the kibler kits would be a definate possibility, although a vise would be a great help. A vise, sm. chisel,mill file,battery drill,small triangle file, and a candle for soot would probably suffice. Working on a SMR kit right now, and it is unreal how close the tolerances are. It's a fantastic place to start out, as all the hard work is done.

One of the kibler kits would be a definate possibility, although a vise would be a great help. A vise, sm. chisel,mill file,battery drill,small triangle file, and a candle for soot would probably suffice. Working on a SMR kit right now, and it is unreal how close the tolerances are. It's a fantastic place to start out, as all the hard work is done.
Thank you Winchester. I'll add that to my list.

Kiblers have a phenomenal reputation for easy to build and top quality.
I would suggest you get onto Youtube and search for Jim Kibler doing a kit build.
Winchester97 is pretty spot on for what is needed but I would say don't bother with the battery drill if you have a power drill.
You can burn masking tape for soot (I reckon it works better than a candle) and you will need chisels (as Winchester mentioned but larger can also be handy) and a way to keep em sharp. If you can get them from a local yard sale all the better.

You will also need sandpaper etcetera for finishing the wood and metal work. Seriously watch the youtube clips.
https://www.youtube.com/c/JimkiblerNet/playlists
I do not know if the Kiblers are drilled for barrel pins but I suspect they may be now. If not you will need to figure out how to mark and drill these.
The rest is pretty straight forward.

I guess you could put HUGE sanding disk on the lawnmower.......seriously, buy only good quality tools. I hit antique malls, and try to find older well used stuff, I think the old chisels and saws were better quality. Learn how to sharpen, and keep a razor edge on them. Most of my tools were inherited, or from junk shops and places like that.

Oh, look at the brownells website. They have scrapers and stocking tools that are good quality and handy.

I don't know if the Kiblers are drilled for barrel pins but I suspect they may be now. If not you will need to figure out how to mark and drill these.

I just got an SMR and all holes in the stock and metals are drilled except the lugs themselves, so the "alignment" part is virtually done.

Kiblers have a phenomenal reputation for easy to build and top quality.
I would suggest you get onto Youtube and search for Jim Kibler doing a kit build.
Winchester97 is pretty spot on for what is needed but I would say don't bother with the battery drill if you have a power drill.
You can burn masking tape for soot (I reckon it works better than a candle) and you will need chisels (as Winchester mentioned but larger can also be handy) and a way to keep em sharp. If you can get them from a local yard sale all the better.

You will also need sandpaper etcetera for finishing the wood and metal work. Seriously watch the youtube clips.
https://www.youtube.com/c/JimkiblerNet/playlists
I do not know if the Kiblers are drilled for barrel pins but I suspect they may be now. If not you will need to figure out how to mark and drill these.
The rest is pretty straight forward.
Thanks LawrenceA my list is getting longer, II will definitely watch the Utube video. I appreciate it,

I guess you could put HUGE sanding disk on the lawnmower.......seriously, buy only good quality tools. I hit antique malls, and try to find older well used stuff, I think the old chisels and saws were better quality. Learn how to sharpen, and keep a razor edge on them. Most of my tools were inherited, or from junk shops and places like that.
I tried that Squanch. Unfortunately it didn't work on my push mower:thumb:

Flash, you just aren’t thinking. You need to get a really good running start on your push mower for the sanding disc to get up enough revs. :doh:
What everybody has overlooked for essential equipment is first and foremost, you’ll need a coffee maker and some good coffee. A clean mug wouldn’t hurt either. :dunno::cool:

Top of the list should be a well lit spot to work and a vice. Next is sharping stones and the knowledge of how to sharpen to crazy sharp (that’s a technical term). If you have the urge to check the edge with your finger then they aren’t sharp! o_O

Hi all. In have built about 20 guns from kits. I have been satisfied with all but one. Each was built in my lap. My knees make a great vise. I just never invested in a workshop because I moved around a lot [USAF and ministry]. I now have stopped moving but I'm too old to invest that much now. However, in the last year I have built three [two pistols and one rifle] .. yep, in my lap. Polecat

Flash, you just aren’t thinking. You need to get a really good running start on your push mower for the sanding disc to get up enough revs. :doh:
What everybody has overlooked for essential equipment is first and foremost, you’ll need a coffee maker and some good coffee. A clean mug wouldn’t hurt either. :dunno::cool:
Thanks for your suggestions Doubleduce. I think I will put them at the top of my list. And I think I will also start getting get my "coffee maker" up bright and early.🤪

Many moons back I visited with Bill Shipman at his house and he was working on some rifles in his den on a table that had a cow hide draped on the table. He had a TV mounted on the wall in the far corner of the room to watch the Philadelphia sports teams play :thumb: :ghostly:;)

Back