Longview area shoots?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by EastTexasAg, Dec 12, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 12, 2019 #1

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

32 Cal

I was wondering if there were any groups up here in the piney woods that would welcome a rookie in to learn and join in. Looking to learn as much as possible about traditional rifles as possible. Eventually I want to hunt with only a traditional rifle other than our night hog chasing. I look forward to hearing from you folks and possibly finding a group to join and enjoy.
    HW

2. Dec 12, 2019 #2

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

The club in Longview is gone and nothing in Tyler. There are no places to buy powder or supplies in the area, powder has to come UPS.

There are shoots a couple of times a year in Berryville, AR and there is a club in the Dallas area.

3. Dec 12, 2019 #3

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

32 Cal

I thought there was a shop in Whitehouse to buy powder and supplies?

4. Dec 12, 2019 #4

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

I live in Bullard and there are none that I know of in Whitehouse. I use to pick up powder for a guy in Whitehouse since he could not find any local.

5. Dec 12, 2019 #5

dave61965

dave61965

dave61965

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Full Mag Sports shows to be a Goex dealer, been in there once, usually see him at the Tyler gun show, he usually has smokeless powder at his table but I’ve never noticed Goex but it may be a liability issue also.

6. Dec 12, 2019 #6

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

Learned something new, I did knot know he existed.

I called and he does have powder, will have to go by there and see what he has.

7. Dec 12, 2019 #7

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

32 Cal

Ye
    Yes sir. Keep us in the know. I haven’t bought a rifle yet to decide powder and such. GOEX is only percussion sage correct? Or is it ok in flints?

8. Dec 12, 2019 #8

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

32 Cal.

Dallas Muzzleloaders have a monthly shoot at their range in Tool...but that would probably be about an hour drive from Longview. Tool is just a little south of Gun Barrel. They have a couple of different rendezvous's there too a year and members are welcome to camp and shoot there whenever. Great club...

9. Dec 13, 2019 #9

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

EastTexasAg

32 Cal

You know, I’m sure if we put in a little effort...we might be able to build a small small group out here. Lovelady, Bullard, White Oak. I’m sure there are some other enthusiasts in the area.

10. Dec 13, 2019 #10

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

Good luck, when we shot in Longview there was 2,000 members at place where we shot, and not one of them shot black powder. They let us (all three of us) shoot being nice.

11. Jan 2, 2020 #11

lwscrim

lwscrim

lwscrim

Scrimshander MLF Supporter

Stick with "REAL" black powder and your good to go with flint or cap!
    Sam A.

12. Jan 2, 2020 #12

rp77469

rp77469

rp77469

Pilgrim

Pineywoods Buckskinners site still, very slowly, loads. Very outdated and probably abandoned, but it does have some email links that might work. http://www.pineywoodsbuckskinners.bravepages.com/

The Texas Association of Buckskinners has 3 rendezvous a year plus a doin's at the Presidio La Bahia in Goliad in December. TAB events are usually inside the triangle Houston - San Antonio - Dallas, but not always. If you go to the NMLRA site and look up 'charter clubs' you will find 5-6 listings. There used to be a dozen. The Greenwood Longrifles still shoot, but the are near Jackson, so a ways for you.

The 36th Southwestern Regional Rendezvous will be held between Carthage and Henderson March 14-21, 2020. There aren't as many of us as there was 35 years ago. https://www.facebook.com/southwesternrendezvous/ There will be a prize shoot each day plus a blanket shoot if enough interest.

Good luck finding a place to shoot. There are still some east Texas shooters and skinners. Once you find one, he'll probably know most of the rest. Maybe all y'all can restart some competitions in the area. Good luck!

13. Jan 13, 2020 #13

Howie1968

Howie1968

Howie1968

40 Cal.

im here in Lufkin, and bobs pawnshop in Woodville carries quite a bit of stuff I don't think real black but pyrodex for sure. round balls patches caps musket caps. I admit I shoot pyrodex a lot but I have about 12 lbs of grafs 2f goex 3f old eynesford 3f and goex 4f I use it in my hunting guns exclusively.. Tallpines on this sight have talked s club before I personally know at least 13 people in our area who shoot traditional muzzleloaders exclusively

14. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:44 AM #14

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

32 Cal.

The Frozen Foot rendezvous is this week, sponsored by the Dallas Muzzleloaders. It is a fun way to spend a day or two and meet some nice folks related to the black powder sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted