• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longview area shoots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastTexasAg

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any groups up here in the piney woods that would welcome a rookie in to learn and join in. Looking to learn as much as possible about traditional rifles as possible. Eventually I want to hunt with only a traditional rifle other than our night hog chasing. I look forward to hearing from you folks and possibly finding a group to join and enjoy.
HW

The club in Longview is gone and nothing in Tyler. There are no places to buy powder or supplies in the area, powder has to come UPS.

There are shoots a couple of times a year in Berryville, AR and there is a club in the Dallas area.

The club in Longview is gone and nothing in Tyler. There are no places to buy powder or supplies in the area, powder has to come UPS.

There are shoots a couple of times a year in Berryville, AR and there is a club in the Dallas area.

I thought there was a shop in Whitehouse to buy powder and supplies?

I live in Bullard and there are none that I know of in Whitehouse. I use to pick up powder for a guy in Whitehouse since he could not find any local.

I live in Bullard and there are none that I know of in Whitehouse. I use to pick up powder for a guy in Whitehouse since he could not find any local.
Full Mag Sports shows to be a Goex dealer, been in there once, usually see him at the Tyler gun show, he usually has smokeless powder at his table but I’ve never noticed Goex but it may be a liability issue also.

Learned something new, I did knot know he existed.

I called and he does have powder, will have to go by there and see what he has.

Ye
Learned something new, I did knot know he existed.

I called and he does have powder, will have to go by there and see what he has.

Yes sir. Keep us in the know. I haven’t bought a rifle yet to decide powder and such. GOEX is only percussion sage correct? Or is it ok in flints?

Dallas Muzzleloaders have a monthly shoot at their range in Tool...but that would probably be about an hour drive from Longview. Tool is just a little south of Gun Barrel. They have a couple of different rendezvous's there too a year and members are welcome to camp and shoot there whenever. Great club...

You know, I’m sure if we put in a little effort...we might be able to build a small small group out here. Lovelady, Bullard, White Oak. I’m sure there are some other enthusiasts in the area.

Good luck, when we shot in Longview there was 2,000 members at place where we shot, and not one of them shot black powder. They let us (all three of us) shoot being nice.

Pineywoods Buckskinners site still, very slowly, loads. Very outdated and probably abandoned, but it does have some email links that might work. http://www.pineywoodsbuckskinners.bravepages.com/

The Texas Association of Buckskinners has 3 rendezvous a year plus a doin's at the Presidio La Bahia in Goliad in December. TAB events are usually inside the triangle Houston - San Antonio - Dallas, but not always. If you go to the NMLRA site and look up 'charter clubs' you will find 5-6 listings. There used to be a dozen. The Greenwood Longrifles still shoot, but the are near Jackson, so a ways for you.

The 36th Southwestern Regional Rendezvous will be held between Carthage and Henderson March 14-21, 2020. There aren't as many of us as there was 35 years ago. https://www.facebook.com/southwesternrendezvous/ There will be a prize shoot each day plus a blanket shoot if enough interest.

Good luck finding a place to shoot. There are still some east Texas shooters and skinners. Once you find one, he'll probably know most of the rest. Maybe all y'all can restart some competitions in the area. Good luck!

im here in Lufkin, and bobs pawnshop in Woodville carries quite a bit of stuff I don't think real black but pyrodex for sure. round balls patches caps musket caps. I admit I shoot pyrodex a lot but I have about 12 lbs of grafs 2f goex 3f old eynesford 3f and goex 4f I use it in my hunting guns exclusively.. Tallpines on this sight have talked s club before I personally know at least 13 people in our area who shoot traditional muzzleloaders exclusively

The Frozen Foot rendezvous is this week, sponsored by the Dallas Muzzleloaders. It is a fun way to spend a day or two and meet some nice folks related to the black powder sports.

Latest posts

Back