• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Longrifle by the late "Cotton" Volrath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The image can be posted directly from one's photo storage without going to Photobucket or another photo host. One only has to click on the Attach files button in the lower left while composing a message. This assumes Captjoel still has it on his computer.

P1050348.JPG

Thank you for posting this. I knew Cotton but hadn't seen him or even talked with him for years. Didn't know he was gone. Vaya con Dios Hermano.

Thank you, Captain Joel!

That is a rifle with elegant lines but a lot of character. The Siler lock looks good with the rounded tail. Is that a slab of antler for a buttplate?

...Looks like your wife must have reclaimed her pink bedspread..

Notchy Bob

P1050351.JPG

The butt plate is elk antler with iron toe and heel. Notchy Bob, that pink bedspread disappeared some time ago! I plumb forgot about it and have no plans to start looking!

Yes, that he was. A very good man who help make other good men better.
He is known as the 'father' of the Fraternal Order of the Beaver. A Mason side degree for buckskinners only. I am proud to say he put the FOB degree on me many years ago. Fine rifle to commemorate him. 👍 RIP Bro. Cotton.
I met Cotton in 1996 at the Alafia River Rendezvous and knew him for several years. Great person to learn from and several hours to talk with him. He told me he was a steel worker in Mich. and worked on bridges. Last I saw him was at the Rendezvous it started to rain and he had pack up and head to Mich. Both me and my wife helped him pack up and got him on his way, before he left he gave me a patch knife that he made. Was great to read about him brought great memories, Thamks

The butt plate is elk antler with iron toe and heel. Notchy Bob, that pink bedspread disappeared some time ago! I plumb forgot about it and have no plans to start looking!

Thank you, Captain Joel. That's a good image of the butt plate. I had seen little heel caps of antler on rifles that had no butt plate, but not a full sized plate of antler like that one.

I never met Mr. Volrath, but I have enjoyed seeing the photos of the beautiful and distinctive rifle he built, and I have read all of the comments and remembrances about the man. What a great tribute to one who was a friend and mentor to so many !

Notchy Bob

That rifle was probably built in 87 or 88. I knew Cotton pretty well and was in his shop one morning when he was building this rifle. I happened to be there while he was inletting the little squirrel under the cheek piece. Cotton was super good guy! Its sad he is gone now.

Back