• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Longrifle by the late "Cotton" Volrath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjoel

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Once in a while I run across a longrifle that has something special, that is out of the ordinary by most standards of my expectations. This long barreled, dainty weight, 40 caliber, southern belle has me smitten once again. Normally I have always been drawn to the Pennsylvania styles of rifles, with their brass and engraved sparkles. This time it's different. Something here has found a soft spot in my primitive undercoating. Perhaps it is the way this rifle effortlessly draws up to my shoulder and my eye gazes across that vast flat top through sights that are clouds apart. Almost literally touching out to that target. I pray that my coarse has not once again been changed over to another aspect of this dreadful dark sided addiction....... :blah: :bull: This is the part where I always seem to wake up! Oh, pictures. Rifle built by the late Harold Loyd "Cotton" Volrath who once hailed from Michigan's Upper Peninsula and a small town of Brimley close to the Soo. He was a very good man and a very good gunsmith. I find a great pride to own a piece of his work.
cottonvolrath2014016_zpsc4bb6b7c.jpg
cottonvolrath2014017_zps0f849062.jpg

Please excuse the wife's pink bead spread. It just happened to be fresh out of the dryer and covered up the old couch nicely.
cottonvolrath2014022_zps175c6c9e.jpg
cottonvolrath2014011_zps000f2d94.jpg

That rifle sounds like it's a joy to shoot. Add in the "southern charm" and you've definitely got a keeper!

He was a very good man and a very good gunsmith.

Yes, that he was. A very good man who help make other good men better.
He is known as the 'father' of the Fraternal Order of the Beaver. A Mason side degree for buckskinners only. I am proud to say he put the FOB degree on me many years ago. Fine rifle to commemorate him. :thumbsup: RIP Bro. Cotton.

I shot with Cotton once we had a good time. your right he was a very good man.

Cotton was one of those men that stood out among men. An Iron worker by trade he was indeed an Iron man. The last time I saw him was at his shop many years ago, four of us stopped by on the way back from a canoe trip on Lake Superior and he and his wife put us up for the night.

I think of Cotton from time to time. He's gone now but his spirit lives on in that rifle you have. You are a lucky to have it. Thank you for showing it to us. :hatsoff:

Here's an old thread telling of Cottons passing

Cotton Volrath

Postby Whitewolf on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:21 pm
Some of you know of Cotton from rendezvous in the past. I wanted to let you know Cotton passed away late last week at home. He is missed.
One stick, one string. What more does a guy need? Oh yeah, and something that makes LOTS of smoke when you pull the trigger!

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Re: Cotton Volrath

Postby Captchee on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:59 am
Please give our condolences to friends and family.
Such treaties may be alright for men who are too old to hunt or fight. As for me, I have my young warriors about me. We will hold our land."
- Tsi'yu-gunsini

Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Whitewolf on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:33 pm
Will do, Captchee. Bea come into the store several time a week. Cotton was one of those 'one of a kind', I and many others will surely miss him.
One stick, one string. What more does a guy need? Oh yeah, and something that makes LOTS of smoke when you pull the trigger!

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Postby ctcdude on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:11 am
I know this is an old post but I just found it. My father was an old friend of Cotton and as a boy I have many great memories of Cotton and visits to the campground. I am sad to hear of Cotton's passing and wish to give all the Family my best wishes. Bea and Cotton got married in my Parents store The Mountain Man General Store. Sorry to find out so late but please know my thoughts are with You. Paul

ctcdude
Spike Bull

Postby Whitewolf on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:11 pm
Will do, Paul.

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Postby Longhunter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:28 pm
I just found this thread about Cotton, I knew of his passing. I knew him well enough to call him a friend, he was a man of outstanding character. I got a letter from Bea last summer. She wrote, "We still have the picture of when you and the fellows canoed the lake up here"...she was talking about Lake Superior.

When some of us old timers get together and talk of the old days, Cotton's name is one that usually gets mentioned. He is missed.

Longhunter
4X4 Bull

Fine rifle made by a fine man. I also knew Cotton and Bea......I met them around 1978 in Mackinaw City at the pageant. Cotton was a huge influence for getting into reenacting, I had been shooting BP for a few years before meeting him. I lived in Mackinaw City at that time, and remember my dad and I going up to their home in the UP. Yes very good man, he is missed.
I remember Cotton showing us his ball bag made out a squirrel hide, balls came out the mouth. Will never forget his influence on me.
If you ever want to sell your rifle please let me know.

Thank you Blaze for bringing Cotton back into the limelight! Always enjoy hearing folks recollections of this fine man!

I have kept this very long, sleek, lightweight rifle hanging over my desk at home on display for several years. I don't shoot as often as I used to and it being a 40 caliber, doesn't go with me into the deer woods. I will think about your interest Blaze and keep you in mind when I figure what to do.

Nice rifle. Cotton was a neat fellow. Some of my friends and I hunted out of his place back when he lived in the Upper. Quite an interesting gentleman.

I never knew Mr. Cotton Volrath, but he sounds like an interesting fellow. I would like to have a look at the rifle he built, but the image in the original post is obscured by the "photobucket" banner. Is there any way to restore the image for viewing?

Thanks,

Notchy Bob

Back