• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Longest Flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a smoothbore I made with a 72" barrel

100_0949.jpg

That appears to be a wall gun.
In the 19th Century the Regular Chinese Army had units armed with guns like this. There was a two man crew with one man supporting the barrel and the other man who fired the gun. The gun was called a jingall. The first ones were matchlock but by the 1860's they moved to flintlock. {sorry to be pedantic but I was a Professor of Classical Chinese History and I just can't help myself !}

This one is not quite a along but the story is that it belonged to a physician named Woodson and was a fowler. The original length was 8 feet. An ancestor of mine was visiting the doctor and his family and the house was attacked by Indians. Dr. Woodson was killed but my ancestor used this gun to fend off the attack saving the doctor's wife and children. I can't imagine wielding this thing to load it and fend off any attack but that's the story.
woodson-musket-Thomas-Ligon.jpg
woodson-gun Thomas Ligon 3.jpg

Last edited:
In the 19th Century the Regular Chinese Army had units armed with guns like this. There was a two man crew with one man supporting the barrel and the other man who fired the gun. The gun was called a jingal. The first ones were matchlock but by the 1860's they moved to flintlock. {sorry to be pedantic but I was a Professor of Classical Chinese History and I just can't help myself !}
I have known the up scalelng of Ml;s by the Boxers . But I thought' Jingles' where temple guns mostly on swivels and not partcularly Chinees but far East at least .
Rudyard

The top picture is a fellow called Snowden Sleights, and he definitely used his a lot, a well known character, and professional shot and eel hunter, there is quite a good stained window of him in the church where he is buried, i do have a small biography of him some where

I have known the up scalelng of Ml;s by the Boxers . But I thought' Jingles' where temple guns mostly on swivels and not partcularly Chinees but far East at least .
Rudyard
Yes, the Boxer [ "Righteous Fists"] did indeed still use them . Temple guns were to make noise, fire and smoke to scare evil spirts away. This concept was imported to the USA by Germanic settlers and is still practiced at New Years in places like Cherryville NC

If you ever saw the Film' Lord Jim' A ships officer who gets accidently disgraced in a storm on a Pilgrim ship with a run away steam roller . So goes' Tropo' /Native. But he defends the village against bandits by firing coins from a Jingle . ( Well they wanted the coins so he gave them to them!) .Hardly documentation of course .But I once was deck passage on a pilgrim ship the ' SS Sardona' Kararchi to Bombay British India Line ..Just slept on the hatch covers under a big awning 42 R/- with a few hippy travellers in 1966 you could do that. But today I doubt you can , but it saved my bacon it was my last last rupees but I had money in Bombay but in those days no border bods demanded onward tickets nor would question even so umpecunious a ' Sahab ' (Never could spell it ). I have photo of me on the deck in the' roads' off Bombay looking very spiffy ile try include them later , I was 21 Id'e reached Karachi on 15 pounds from Milan via Yugoslavia, Greece, Turkey, Persia ,& into Baluchistan to Quetta thence rail to Karachi Non of them questioned my funds . India was at war with Pakistan or ide gone via Lahore/ Rawlpindi crossing . Any way I digress I tend to get carried away .
Regards Rudyard

If you ever saw the Film' Lord Jim' A ships officer who gets accidently disgraced in a storm on a Pilgrim ship with a run away steam roller . So goes' Tropo' /Native. But he defends the village against bandits by firing coins from a Jingle . ( Well they wanted the coins so he gave them to them!) .Hardly documentation of course .But I once was deck passage on a pilgrim ship the ' SS Sardona' Kararchi to Bombay British India Line ..Just slept on the hatch covers under a big awning 42 R/- with a few hippy travellers in 1966 you could do that. But today I doubt you can , but it saved my bacon it was my last last rupees but I had money in Bombay but in those days no border bods demanded onward tickets nor would question even so umpecunious a ' Sahab ' (Never could spell it ). I have photo of me on the deck in the' roads' off Bombay looking very spiffy ile try include them later , I was 21 Id'e reached Karachi on 15 pounds from Milan via Yugoslavia, Greece, Turkey, Persia ,& into Baluchistan to Quetta thence rail to Karachi Non of them questioned my funds . India was at war with Pakistan or ide gone via Lahore/ Rawlpindi crossing . Any way I digress I tend to get carried away .
Regards Rudyard

Attachments

• IMG-9314.JPG
    IMG-9314.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back