• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

longer range hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a 1-48" barrel cut by Bobby Hoyt. It had a 1-70 something twist on it but he made that one a smooth bore and I turned it into a fowler. I liked how my Zouave shot with the 1-48 twist. Would shoot the light and heavy bullets very well. With the 3 band and the stock barrel it would only shoot the thin skirted old style minies with 60 gr charges well. Now it will shoot those, the soup can minies, modern minies, maxis, and reals very well.

In response to no one in particular - please keep it to traditional muzzleloaders . . . or as close as you can muster.

No one cares what someone might have preferred "had it been available". They'd have probably stayed home and ate grapes if they was rich - and that is impossible to prove as well.

chickenmcnasty said:
I agree and I'm grateful for the info.
What is the twist on the 3 band enfield? I thought the pedersoli I had seen had a slow twist, and I can't imagine that being good for conicals.
I've also heard great things about the Great Plains hunter and tang sight combo. Plus, that might be easier on the budget

the P53 enfield has a twist of one turn in 6'6" (1-78"). it shoots quite well with the correct mini or a wilkinson bullet. it is a roughly 4 MOA gun out to 300yrds, then area fire at 500yrds. which was exactly what it was designed to do and is more than enough accuracy to suppress an artillery gun crew. it's brother the P58 has a 1-48" twist and is an excellent 2 MOA rifle out to 500yrds and across the pond they are shot out to 800yrds.

They would have loved my Hawken, I know it.
And yes it is on topic because we are talking about long range rifles and it is a TRADITIONAL long range rifle.
You are :eek:ff
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back