• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longer Cleaning Rods - Options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated before I personally have never broken a wooden ramrod, but then I only use straight grained hickory and shove the ball down in short steps, 8-12 inches or so, don't try to do it in one long push. Never a store bought dowel rod.

But, we were talking about range rods, I have a 44" stainless rod with a bore protector that I use for cleaning in the shop that I am pretty sure I got from Dixie years ago, it has a brass bore protector but I see the ones they have now are plastic, I don't know if that makes a difference but my rod works great.

I have a delrin rod that I used when shooting BPCR's and that thing has been used and abused extensively thousands of times and looks the same as when new, if someone is breaking one I would love to see how they did it, as someone said earlier you can bend it double and nothing happens. Machines and holds threads well...almost indestructible. HMMM... maybe I should try it for my flinters in the shop....

"but I see the ones they have now are plastic"

I prefer plastic, but the are harder to find.

3/16" steel rod can be made for under 10 bucks if you have a die set and thread cutting oil. Raw materials needed are one pc . of 3/16" steel rod. Knob shaped metal drawer pull , drilled and tapped for one end of the 3/16" x 32 tpi , steel rod. An adapter from 10-x 32 to the size jag you prefer will be available from Track OTW , or log Cabin Shop. Don't forget the optional muzzle protector..........oldwood

I recently picked up a Pedersoli Kentucky from a forum member. The 36" barrel ended up being just a few inches longer than my cleaning/range rod, which puts me in the market for a new range rod. The one I have is a Muzzleloader Originals 3-piece brass rod and I like it. It's heavy and robust. If I had my 'druthers, I'd just pick up an extension piece that would lengthen it. But I can't find anything online about this company other than some cleaning patches for sale.

TOTW seems to be sold out of rods of this length. RMC has one-piece rods that are long enough but they have no handle. Do people make their own handle & just expoxy & pin them like knife scales?

Are there tutorials about how to make your own? I'd assume I'd need a drill press & tap to get the threaded insert for a jag?

I think I'd rather just buy a new one that is solid enough for long-term use & long enough for this rifle. Are there any being offered for sale anywhere?
Track the Wolf had a ton to choose from, bought one for 1861 Springfield.

Old Pool balls make great range rod ends , just drill a hole and glue in place , , if there is an accidental discharge the ball will slip through your fingers with no sharp objects or angles . If you choose correctly you will always be behind the 8 ball, :doh:

You can purchase 3/8" solid brass rod cheaper than the shorter sectional kit,,, only draw back is access to a lath to center bore and tap your desired threads. Make or buy a good sturdy range rod to reduce wear and tear on ole hickory.

I make my own "range rods" out of 9/32 stainless steel rod. I drill and tap one end for a jag and accessories, and I put a handle on the other. This way I can make any length I need. The stainless steel rod is easily found online at reasonable prices and you can get creative with the handle. Make sure you either make or buy a muzzle protector. I am fussy so I will make my own accessories and tailor my equipment to MY needs :thumb: ;)

I make my own "range rods" out of 9/32 stainless steel rod. I drill and tap one end for a jag and accessories, and I put a handle on the other. This way I can make any length I need. The stainless steel rod is easily found online at reasonable prices and you can get creative with the handle. Make sure you either make or buy a muzzle protector. I am fussy so I will make my own accessories and tailor my equipment to MY needs :thumb: ;)
Great idea and the tools to do it are not inaccessible.

For those on here that are crafty. This could be a relatively easy gig. Though, the margins aren’t wonderful.

Every range rod I own has a muzzle protector.

Every ram rod in the thimbles has been changed out to brass. I know wood is PC, but wood will get you a trip to the Emergency Room. Pulling a piece of ram rod out of your fore arm is a changing (ram rods) experience.
Not if you get a real straight grained hickory and use it correctly.
Ramming home is done in short strokes. Don’t grab the end of the rod and try to push down. Grab 6-8 inches above the muzzle, repeat till seated.
Old guns came with fine rods. About 3/8 on many guns. They did so cause it worked.
Broke my first rod back in 1976 loading. Haven’t broke one since loading.
I have broke them other ways
They don’t like to be stepped on.
That make lousy pot holders while treking, and the duck holding up a Diamond tarp in windy weather.
But used right wood won’t fail you loading

GI surplus .50 BMG rod and it breaks down in canvise case 4pc can adjust the lenth you want and fits in a fanny/back pack just in case t & handled

This is something I have thought of when I had an existing ramrod and need it to be longer but because I have a bunch of ramrod blanks from Dan Putz I never put these into action.

They make a neat little add on for broken arrows called Reparrows, these are about 3" long and have the perfect 5 degree female taper cut in one end. If you break a wood arrows tip off you can re-taper the broken end, glue on a Reparrow shaft and bring the arrow back to its former length. The are so precisely made you can add more than one if you need to and your arrow will still be straight from one end to the other. The glue joint is very strong, I have never had one break at the joint on arrows that I have made and that includes hitting rocks and trees during tournaments

I am friends with the guy who makes them, as a favor to me he made me a set out of hickory one time, his normal woods are walnut and cherry, they come in 5/16, 11/32 and 23/64.

You can't buy just one, they come in dozens, I think a dozen is now about $20. When I used to buy them they were a buck each shipped in dozens. I put a lot of time in my wood arrows and didn't want to trash one for being broken off too short, same for the arrows I made for my late wife, she shot 5/16" arrows and broke them often.

Some of mine and my wife's repaired arrows, one of hers has two Reparrows on it.

reparrows in quiver.jpg

The problem or using these on ramrods would be cutting the 5 degree taper on the short ramrod, being a Trad guy I have all the arrow tools but most people don't.

I made a jig on my belt/disc sander to cut a perfect nock (11 degree) and point (5 degree) taper.

taper.jpg

I am going to run the ramrod extension idea by my friend and suggest he make them out of hickory and sell them 3 or 4 at a time for this purpose. Without a doubt the kind of bone head idea I often come up with, but who knows.

Last edited:
Very crafty Eric - what kind of glue do you use? How did you clamp the two sections together? The fit looks perfect :thumb: :cool:

I useTB3, no need to clamp, the fit is so tight if you force the glue covered shaft into the Repair arrow it will split the cone of the Reparrow. For arrows I use the next size up and sand the shafts for a perfect union. This is a 23/64 Reparrow on a 11/32 shaft.

reparrow 1.JPG

The fit without glue;

reparrow 2.JPG

I recently picked up a Pedersoli Kentucky from a forum member. The 36" barrel ended up being just a few inches longer than my cleaning/range rod, which puts me in the market for a new range rod. The one I have is a Muzzleloader Originals 3-piece brass rod and I like it. It's heavy and robust. If I had my 'druthers, I'd just pick up an extension piece that would lengthen it. But I can't find anything online about this company other than some cleaning patches for sale.

TOTW seems to be sold out of rods of this length. RMC has one-piece rods that are long enough but they have no handle. Do people make their own handle & just expoxy & pin them like knife scales?

Are there tutorials about how to make your own? I'd assume I'd need a drill press & tap to get the threaded insert for a jag?

I think I'd rather just buy a new one that is solid enough for long-term use & long enough for this rifle. Are there any being offered for sale anywhere?
For cleaning rods, I get two shotgun rods and screw an extra section in the middle to make it longer; you know, the common aluminum rods.

Latest posts

Back