• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longer Cleaning Rods - Options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used hardware store dowels but look at the grain very carefully because pressure could split them and drive a jagged end into your hand. I'd get one from Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf.

I recently picked up a Pedersoli Kentucky from a forum member. The 36" barrel ended up being just a few inches longer than my cleaning/range rod, which puts me in the market for a new range rod. The one I have is a Muzzleloader Originals 3-piece brass rod and I like it. It's heavy and robust. If I had my 'druthers, I'd just pick up an extension piece that would lengthen it. But I can't find anything online about this company other than some cleaning patches for sale.

TOTW seems to be sold out of rods of this length. RMC has one-piece rods that are long enough but they have no handle. Do people make their own handle & just expoxy & pin them like knife scales?

Are there tutorials about how to make your own? I'd assume I'd need a drill press & tap to get the threaded insert for a jag?

I think I'd rather just buy a new one that is solid enough for long-term use & long enough for this rifle. Are there any being offered for sale anywhere?
I have a jointed break-down ro for which I was able to get extra sections. It lives in my shooting box, and only gets used fro cleaning those really long barrels, or for loading them if they get sticky for some reason. I don't know if they are still available, but definately worth having.

I recently picked up a Pedersoli Kentucky from a forum member. The 36" barrel ended up being just a few inches longer than my cleaning/range rod, which puts me in the market for a new range rod. The one I have is a Muzzleloader Originals 3-piece brass rod and I like it. It's heavy and robust. If I had my 'druthers, I'd just pick up an extension piece that would lengthen it. But I can't find anything online about this company other than some cleaning patches for sale.

TOTW seems to be sold out of rods of this length. RMC has one-piece rods that are long enough but they have no handle. Do people make their own handle & just expoxy & pin them like knife scales?

Are there tutorials about how to make your own? I'd assume I'd need a drill press & tap to get the threaded insert for a jag?

I think I'd rather just buy a new one that is solid enough for long-term use & long enough for this rifle. Are there any being offered for sale anywhere?

Don't know if you saw this thread?

Almost Universal Ball Pulling/Cleaning, Take Down Rod System | The Muzzleloading Forum

Gus

How much more length do you need? Extra long jags are available from the usual sources. I had a 48 inch barrel and a 48 inch rod which included the handle, after some searching i bought the long jag

I got me a .50 cal. machine gun rod that I threaded for 5 mm. equal to the US 10-32 tread.
It is my go to long rod and is a superb range rod for my 48" Old Virginia rifle.

The Delrin unbreakable ramrods are nice and light but they still can break. I seen 3 break at shoots. I have 2 myself and no issues but now use brass rods w/ muzzle guards.
I used to make and sell Delrin rods. No way, no how was I ever able to break one. Have a pic on crashed computer of a total bend not breaking. I believe you saw other materials fail.

As I don’t like range rods with attached “T” handles, I made my range rod from the fiberglass “blank” rods as sold by Dixie.
I left them full length, and made a separate “T” handle from a chunk of “closet pole” wood.
This 1 3/4” dowel is about 4” long with a 1/2” hole bored about 3/8” deep amidships.
Having it separate allows for easier carrying to and from the car to the firing line . . . .it can’t snag on anything and everything!!
When actually using it, curling the fingers around it to seat the ball, makes for a great palm-saver!

I make 48" rods from 3/8 hickory. Install brass thimbles on each end, one 8-32 thread and one 10-32 thread. Just a simple Danish oil finish. I keep them in 1/2 inch pvc tubes with caps. They make a great cleaning/range rod. Never broken one and I doubt if I ever will.

Breaking is just a matter of time, if not, why are so many folks asking where to get replacements.?

I had one of the brass 3 piece cleaning rods but it too was not long enough for my Pedersoli 1861 Springfield so I went ahead and bought another 3 piece rod and used one of the 3 pieces to make a 4 piece cleaning/range rod. Works for me.

I made some out of 5/16 brass rod. Notched the top, drilled and tapped for the bolt to hold the T on, drilled and tapped the bottom, peened a brass rod to hold the protector on. Super simple to make and works great.

Attachments

• 20200518_175916.jpg
    20200518_175916.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200518_175935.jpg
    20200518_175935.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 37
October Country is nice folks to deal with. Just had them make me a pistol rod.

Don't use hardware store dowel. It's just asking for problems. Use straight grain hickory if wanting to stay PC and PROPER TECHNIQUE.

Most that've impaled themselves were not using short stokes choked up, or were using the junk Italian or Spanish factory rods that came on their guns when originally purchased.

Back