• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longer Cleaning Rods - Options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Pedersoli Kentucky from a forum member. The 36" barrel ended up being just a few inches longer than my cleaning/range rod, which puts me in the market for a new range rod. The one I have is a Muzzleloader Originals 3-piece brass rod and I like it. It's heavy and robust. If I had my 'druthers, I'd just pick up an extension piece that would lengthen it. But I can't find anything online about this company other than some cleaning patches for sale.

TOTW seems to be sold out of rods of this length. RMC has one-piece rods that are long enough but they have no handle. Do people make their own handle & just expoxy & pin them like knife scales?

Are there tutorials about how to make your own? I'd assume I'd need a drill press & tap to get the threaded insert for a jag?

I think I'd rather just buy a new one that is solid enough for long-term use & long enough for this rifle. Are there any being offered for sale anywhere?

I found it worth the effort to buy a couple of 4' wood dowels at Home Depot, to verify the right diameter and length. I have a new 36 cal. long rifle with an existing ramrod that fits too tightly inside the stock, so I wanted something that would fit in the stock, and engage the ramrod retaining spring. I'm fixing to order a 1/4" solid brass ramrod from October Country, with a removable handle, so I can carry it as a ramrod, but it's strong enough to serve as a range rod.
I thought about sanding the existing ramrod, but my existing range rod won't fit in the barrel for cleaning, so I have to get a longer, thinner one.

Brass and alloy rods tend to pick up hard bits of fouling and unless you are very careful will lap the muzzle , Wooden rods also wear the muzzle unless you use a muzzle guide /guard , 3 piece or more rods tend to buckle slightly if the join comes even a little loose and that will wear the rifling .Stainless steel with a muzzle guard is by far the best for a range rod , I buy ordinary stainless cleaning rods of the length I require then epoxy the handle so it doesn't rotate , enabling it to be used to pull patches , bullets etc . then fit the appropriate sized jag tip from TOTW . I use a standard Hickory rod soaked in creosote for at least 3 months , to increase its flexibility ,as an under barrel rod for hunting , trail walks etc .

The Delrin unbreakable ramrods are nice and light but they still can break. I seen 3 break at shoots. I have 2 myself and no issues but now use brass rods w/ muzzle guards.

Every range rod I own has a muzzle protector.

Every ram rod in the thimbles has been changed out to brass. I know wood is PC, but wood will get you a trip to the Emergency Room. Pulling a piece of ram rod out of your fore arm is a changing (ram rods) experience.

TC use to make them, do not know if they still do. I have one, never used it, but have loaned it out at shoots before.

Back