• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long term goal finally finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I bought a flintlock double smoothbore 30 years ago and had plans for taking all the game I normally hunt with it. I collected rabbits, squirrels, quail, doves, one groundhog, a tom turkey and one javelina, but I kept putting off a deer hunt, afraid I might hurt one. The gun shoots very small groups with ball in both barrels, but the barrels are not registered to the same point of aim by just a little bit. I can make her hit with a little Kentucky windage, but that somehow was intimidating to me when it came to deer. Not to worry, I collected a fat buck with it yesterday. It stopped at less than 25 yards in deep, tall weeds and only its head showing, so I shot that. My ‘to do’ list with that gun is finished, and it felt good to do it. I’m a tired old man today from all that goes on after the shot, but it still feels good.

I loaded 80 grains Goex 2F, one 1/8” hard card, one 1/2” cushion wad soaked with beeswax-lard and a cast .600” ball in a ticking patch of .018”. That load has always been an accurate one for me in all my smoothbores, and it was again yesterday.

DSC_0005.JPG

Spence

Well if this doesn't beat all.

I have to wonder how many bucks will fall to a double flintlock smoothbore this year. Not suprised, but truly delighted to read of your doing so Spence! Absolutely thrilled to see this thread tonight.

Wonderful photograph of a true trophy, friend. Thank you for sharing with us.

Were you hunting your old place?

Congratulations and all the best, Skychief.

Yes, Skychief, I was hunting on the old place. I thought of you about noon, a flock of 18 turkeys hotfooted by my stand, What a sight. Why couldn't they have done that a couple of weeks ago when I was sitting in the same spot in the early turkey season?

The gun was made by J. T. Phillips of Beede, Arkansas. It is 20 gauge, barrels by Getz, 32-inch, tapered, cylinder bore. The locks are by Cochran, small, very fast and dependable. There are no vent liners. The iron furniture is lightly engraved. Stock is walnut. quite a bit of drop and some castoff. Total weight is 7 lb. 3 oz. It has a hook breech, but of a type I've never seen before, just round studs instead of actual hooks.
JTPhillipsX.jpg

JTPhillipsT copy.jpg

Spence

It has a hook breech, but of a type I've never seen before, just round studs instead of actual hooks.

🤔 Never really thought about it before, but what valuable function do the "hooks" really do anyway? The barrel isn't going to fall out forwards! All the pressures are backwards. As long as there is some kind of solid "insert" from the breech back into the metal tang mount area, that should suffice....as indeed this shotgun shows it does.

Any flintlock deer is a trophy, Yours is really nice. Glad you finally finished your list. Wish me luck next year as I take my 20 ga flintlock single out for deer.

I bought a flintlock double smoothbore 30 years ago and had plans for taking all the game I normally hunt with it. I collected rabbits, squirrels, quail, doves, one groundhog, a tom turkey and one javelina, but I kept putting off a deer hunt, afraid I might hurt one. The gun shoots very small groups with ball in both barrels, but the barrels are not registered to the same point of aim by just a little bit. I can make her hit with a little Kentucky windage, but that somehow was intimidating to me when it came to deer. Not to worry, I collected a fat buck with it yesterday. It stopped at less than 25 yards in deep, tall weeds and only its head showing, so I shot that. My ‘to do’ list with that gun is finished, and it felt good to do it. I’m a tired old man today from all that goes on after the shot, but it still feels good.

I loaded 80 grains Goex 2F, one 1/8” hard card, one 1/2” cushion wad soaked with beeswax-lard and a cast .600” ball in a ticking patch of .018”. That load has always been an accurate one for me in all my smoothbores, and it was again yesterday.

View attachment 51263
Spence
Nice work! Sadly only allowed single shot muzzleloaders in PA season.

Back