• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Long Rifle Cases

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good case for my rifle. Has anyone used a musket case from Unique Cases? If you have, how much padding is in them. The matches I'll be attending are about a 1 1/2 hour drive and I don't want my rifle getting beat up. I'm not interested in anything that isn't well padded.

Thanks, Justin

I ordered a 62" soft case from Unique cases today, it should be here next week.

I'm looking for a good case for my rifle. Has anyone used a musket case from Unique Cases? If you have, how much padding is in them. The matches I'll be attending are about a 1 1/2 hour drive and I don't want my rifle getting beat up. I'm not interested in anything that isn't well padded.

Thanks, Justin
I have several - for both muzzle loaders and modern guns. Great well padded cases.

Does anybody know if they still do other colors? Not everything needs to be tacticool black. I tried their web contact and got no reply.

I have a camo blanket that fits most of mine but offers little real protection. Then there's an old leather one I've had since the 1960s and that's about it.

They have typical soft case padding, maybe 1/2” or so.

A more traditional option - if you care - is a canvas case from Track lined with a blanket or doubled-blanket thick liner. I treated the canvas cover with that ‘oil skin wax’ to make it water repellant.

I have several of the Unique Cases padded gun cases, for long guns and pistols. They are of excellent quality... very strong and well-padded. I would recommend them. Here is a link: Unique Cases - Musket Collection

I called them on the phone before ordering, and found they were very easy to work with. At that time (over a year ago, I think), they offered colors other than black as special orders. I don't know if they still do that, but it would not hurt to ask.

As noted, the Unique cases come with a long, tubular pocket for a range or cleaning rod. They also have a shoulder sling. These are features that you may or may not want or need. The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio, also sells a 62" soft padded longrifle case. They only list the one length of 62", as opposed to the multiple size choices offered by Unique cases. If you have a longrifle with a barrel 42" or longer, or virtually any 18th century musket or a 19th century musket in the three-band length, the 62" case will work for you. The Log Cabin longrifle case has an outer shell of a lighter color and softer, nappier fabric than the Cordura used by Unique. It does not have the cleaning rod tube or shoulder sling, but it does have web handles of generous length. It is a high-quality case. The Unique Cases "musket cases" are priced at $65, while the Log Cabin case is $29.95... Less than half the cost of the competition. Here is a link to the Log Cabin Shop's longrifle case: Log Cabin Shop - Padded Kentucky Rifle Case

I have both. I think I have two of the Log Cabin cases and several from Unique. They are all good cases, well padded, and they give good protection to your guns. I like them both, although one thing these case-makers do not seem to "get" is that our long guns are muzzle-heavy. Both Unique and Log Cabin put the handles too far back, way behind the balance point, which makes them awkward to carry.

If I specifically needed a simple, 62" case for storage and transport, without bells and whistles, I would probably get one from the Log Cabin Shop. It is a well-padded case of excellent quality at less than half the cost of the other one. However, while you want a case that's long enough, you don't want one that is too long. Those are even more awkward to carry. If I specifically needed a somewhat shorter case, or if I specifically wanted a tube on the case for a cleaning rod, and/or a shoulder sling, I would not hesitate to order another case from Unique. Their products are also excellent.

I haven't been to a gun show since the pandemic started. We used to see a vendor selling Liberty gun cases at the larger shows here in Florida. These cases were of black cordura, adequately padded, simple but well made. They were available in various lengths up to about 53". I think they sold for about $25-$30. I bought several of them for various shorter muzzleloaders as well as some unmentionables. I don't know of an online source for these Liberty cases, which is unfortunate.

If we can indulge a little wishful thinking here, I would like to see the Log Cabin Shop come out with a 49” or 50" case that is otherwise just like their existing longrifle case. That length would be just right for many half-stocked rifles with the ever-popular 32" barrels, such as the Lyman Great Plains Rifles, the CVA Mountain Rifles, and the various Pedersoli Hawken copies. I would also like to see all of the casemakers put their carry handles nearer the balance point for our longer rifles, guns, and muskets.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I called and ordered mine, the first time the line was busy. The second time they answered, very nice, helpful lady.

My case arrived last Saturday, very well made. I was afraid my 44" range rod wouldn't fit but it does with about 1" to spare. I would recommend Unique Cases to anyone looking for a gun case.

Latest posts

Back