• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long rifle brand recommendations?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flteng

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of getting a long rifle next. Any brand recommendation? Or maybe just a great plains rifle

Today? Maybe the best value for the money IMO if it's the style you like!? I would default to Cabela's Blue Ridge Flintlock Pedersoli probably in .50, maybe .54 if I were more inclined to medium-game hunting with it...

Someone else can tell you when they have sales perhaps on top of that!

Warning: I'd avoid new Lymans like the plague these days...

The Lyman GPR is a great gun. At least they were but I have read a couple of complaints regarding the newer ones. I can only tell you that my GPR was a real dandy and shot very well. I had absolutely no complaints about it. I also had an early Hatfield rifle and thought it was a dandy rifle, too. Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle is, as far as I can tell, the same rifle. If I were going to make a recommendation as to which caliber to buy, I'd say get a .54 but if you run across a good deal on a .50 grab it because there is nothing wrong with a .50. I just have a preference for the .54, but that is just me.

So, if you want a new traditional long rifle, consider the Cabela's Blue Ridge in either .50 or .54. If you want a plains style rifle, then the GPR is a good choice but, based on a few postings on this forum, look it over well before you buy. If you are buying an older used GPR, I know them to be well made. Then all you have to look for is whether it has been properly cared for and is in good condition. I wouldn't pay much more than about $350, $400 tops, for a good used GPR.

Let me leave you with one thought.....STICK WITH TRADITIONAL. You can hear all sorts of manure about the inlines but as far as I am concerned, they are not real muzzleloaders. Also, stick with patched round balls in your rifle. You can take any deer, antelope, hog, etc. with a patched round ball. Conicals are just not necessary. The plastic coated, over priced modern pistol bullets do not work in a traditional muzzleloader, they are fodder for the modern inlines so forget using them.

Lastly, but far from being least, order a copy of Dutch Schoultz "Black Powder Rifle Accuracy System". It is the most valuable information you will ever get for making your rifle shoot accurately. www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 long rifles all pedersoli. 1 silver star 1 kentucky with tiger stripe maple stock and 1 walnut pennsylvania long rifle. all 50 cal and the pennsylvania is a flinter. highly recomend pedersoli firearms. They are on the expensive side but the cabelas pedersoli blueridge rifle is well worth the asking price. JMO

I got a Lyman GPR for a great price from a guy that used it once to deer hunt, I stuck a set of Lyman front aperature and adjustable rear sights on it and have been doing real well in competition with it. I don't know if the barrels are hit and miss with these rifles but this barrel is great, the trigger is a little gritty but can be worked out, the coil spring lock is OK and dependable if not a little heavy, the metal to wood finish is very good and the wood is a very dark walnut. I'm really impressed as are a few of my friends that find the gun shooting better than their higher priced custom models. I have a custom rifle in the same caliber that is gathering dust because of this GPR shooting ability. I will mention that the method Lyman uses to drill their patent breech is superior to others that I have used, they drill the fire channel at a 90degree to the nipple, of all the methods I've seen used this results in the most positive ignition. I switched over to German caps some time ago and although a little more expensive find I have practically zero ignition problems related to any problem with fire getting to the powder. My custom gun is very finicky and requires special treatment, the GPR never gives me any problems. I'd recommend a GPR to anyone interested in a first muzzleloader or wanting to get into something reasonable to compete with, the sights will set you back close to 100 bucks, especially if you go with a Hadley eye cup. I shot my first 50XXXX the other day at 50yds in a friendly competition with a friend that is currently the Idaho state champ, I believe he shot a 49XXX

I've had three GPR's, two left handers and one right along with two Trade rifles and except for one of the GPR's with very minor issues, no problems at all. The Pedersoli's are nice too, but quite a bit more expensive than what Lyman offers. If it's in your budget though, a custom rifle is the way to go. You'll get a rifle made just for you with everything you want and nothing that you don't. In fact, if that is the style you are leaning towards you need to check out what Mike Lange is offering; http://www.chooseyourweapon.net/index.htm Next week he will be shipping my western trade rifle, which is based on the James Bown rifle. Mine is the #4 with left hand lock in 50 caliber plus it has a 15 inch length of pull, which you won't find in any production gun.
Take a look at TVM as well- http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back