• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of asking here I would read and study the words of Idaho Ron and Idaholewis on these pages and on youtube and emulate them. They have both put in the work and know what works and what doesn't.
Thanks Bubba. IdahoRon has been very helpful and I have watched several of his videos several times. The bug has hit me to do some long range.

While selecting your sight, do consider the shape of your stock and how low you will be able to adjust the sight. Some sights, especially Soule type with their windage adjustment, are designed for breech loaders and unless you also include a high foresight you may not be able to adjust them to also use at shorter ranges. If seeking to keep things ‘traditional’ keep in mind that the Soule sight was not patented until 1889 and may not be appropriate to your rifle.

David
Thanks David I learn something every day

Actually I think you might want to first look at 220 yards.
That's "40 rods" and was the old standard for basic long range shooting.
Refer to The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle by Ned Roberts. It covers long range shooting. Master 220 yards first and then go for more if you wish.
A vernier, tang, peep sight is likely what you will want to have. The book covers everything that a shooter wants, and includes photographs.

LD
Thanks Dave I will

Good luck. I can't see deer or targets at 400 yds, I've tried.

You need bigger targets!
[/QUOTE]
cartoon-hunter-chased-elephant-19256733.jpg

Some have already suggested to talk to Lee Shavers. I normally use Lyman 57 SML peeps to go to 300 yards. They can go a bit farther but if you want to go to 500 or beyond talk to lee. Lewis actually talked me into this sight. I called Lee and he agreed that for my shooting out to 1000 yards just for fun it should work fine.
This sight is the economy model with the Hadley eye cup.

xB6kvBr.jpg

W5nyCr3.jpg

HIdrmgW.jpg

As others have said you will need a better and probably taller front sight. This is the Lee Shavers Farriss globe sight.

iZKjOSm.jpg

fx2Ekio.jpg

I can't remember what load we talked about. If you want to got to 500 and farther you will want a better bullet than the Lee 500 S&W bullet.
Well it doesn't get better than those pictures. I will call shavers and talk to him. I just bought a Don Brown, Henry sporting rifle kit made in 1996 still in the crate unassembled 45 caliber percussion 32 inch barrel 1-32 twist. I'm not a man made of money, I got the kit at half price. So now I may be using it instead of the Lyman 50 caliber 1-32 I wrote down all the ingredients you recommended on the 50 and will try that. Thanks for all your help I owe you.

Lee Shaver makes a nice set ,believe Lewis uses them ,I do and when Lee answered the phone I told him what I had (a TC Renegade )he said wait one and came back with his after looking in the closet . Said it was the 1st one he shot long and suggested the venier for ( long) how to mount and the front globe to go with it , all this from a world class competitor/gunsmith and builder /nuff said/Ed
Well it doesn't get better than those pictures. I will call shavers and talk to him. I just bought a Don Brown, Henry sporting rifle kit made in 1996 still in the crate unassembled 45 caliber percussion 32 inch barrel 1-32 twist. I'm not a man made of money, I got the kit at half price. So now I may be using it instead of the Lyman 50 caliber 1-32 I wrote down all the ingredients you recommended on the 50 and will try that. Thanks for all your help I owe you.
My experience with Mr. Shaver was just like stishooters… he’s a gentleman. Sounds like you have some quality equipment to start with!

Lee Shaver makes a nice set ,believe Lewis uses them ,I do and when Lee answered the phone I told him what I had (a TC Renegade )he said wait one and came back with his after looking in the closet . Said it was the 1st one he shot long and suggested the venier for ( long) how to mount and the front globe to go with it , all this from a world class competitor/gunsmith and builder /nuff said/Ed
I heartily second the recommendation for Lee Shaver. With my questions he recalled what he had used on the same rifle he had owned years previously. His recs were/are spot on and the quality of his sights is second to none. And his prices are very fair to both parties. I am currently working with him on a front sight upgrade on another rifle. He is definitely my first pick as to who/where to call.

Good luck. I can't see deer or targets at 400 yds, I've tried.
Good point. Personally, I am veeery skeptikal of stories involving long range shots with a ml rifle. I read a lot of history and simply do not believe some of the 'documented' shots mentioned. As Hanshi mentioned, simply seeing the target at long-long ranges is a challenge without modern optical sights. Doping the wind can be a challenge at 100 yards but going out to 300, 500 or more it is near impossible to read the wind for those distances. And, even a tiny gust way downrange can put a ball yards off of the target.

Everyone seems to agree that Lee Shaver’s economy Soule sight is a good one. For a front globe many people are using the Lyman 17AHB with Lee Shaver’s inserts. The Lyman inserts will work but they’re very course, for fine work on targets the Shavers set is much better. Lee can also recommend a base for the tang and the location it needs to be placed in order to work with your front sight.

You need bigger targets!

Or better eyes.

Good point. Personally, I am veeery skeptikal of stories involving long range shots with a ml rifle. I read a lot of history and simply do not believe some of the 'documented' shots mentioned. As Hanshi mentioned, simply seeing the target at long-long ranges is a challenge without modern optical sights. Doping the wind can be a challenge at 100 yards but going out to 300, 500 or more it is near impossible to read the wind for those distances. And, even a tiny gust way downrange can put a ball yards off of the target.
On a shooting range is a very different scenario to hunting (or combat). The latter involve estimation of distance and ill-defined targets. On a range at known distances, with clearly defined targets and range flags things are quite different. Plenty of 19thC documentary evidence and records of matches fired with muzzle loaders at 1000 yards. This is also regularly being repeated today and all without the aid of optical sights.

David

There is a lot of documentation of Ling ra

There is a lot of documentation of long range competition. I'm sorry if you think it's all fake, but it's not.
Wind is an issue. In Southern Idaho it almost never stops. I wanted to shoot out to 1/2 mile last year and just never got a chance. I did get to 500 yards.
I know you have trouble understanding long range shooting. I will almost guarantee that with my 45 you could hit a target at 200. I bet you could hit it at 300.
Having the proper set up is important. Guys driving Ford trucks have a hard time understanding flying a jet.
It's all about proper equipment and proper load and ability.
If I shot my 45 with a PRB I doubt I could hit anything with it. Again it's not the right set up for the job.
In 2020 I dropped a 6 point bull in his tracks at 248 yards. It wasn't a guess. It was a calculated shot at a distance I was capable at with my son watching.
Not only is good eyesight required but the conditions of the day can make seeing harder or better. Some days the glare or heat waves just don't allow for best sighting other days it does.
These 3 hits on this 21" target were at 500 yards. All I can tell you is not everyone have the same gifts or abilities. My wife will be running her 5th Boston marathon in a week. I can't fathom a human being able to do that. But I know that it is possible.

Attachments

• 20210729_111851.jpg
    20210729_111851.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 27
RIfleman1776

You might be surprised what you are capable with the right equipment. You ever seen the the ram at 500 meters for black powder cartridge rifle shooting? Most of that is done with peep sights.

You have the right equipment shooting and hitting a target like that shooting off hand is not unheard of. In the past we have often shot off hand at steel targets at 500 yards for dollar bills. Unless you are seriously visually impaired you can see the targets.

A couple of years ago I and a few others were teaching a class on long range shooting. One of the guys that was there is a world class ML shooter, but not a long range guy. After a bit he was feeling his oats and decided he would shoot the steel target at 500 yards off hand. He hit it the first try.

Shooting a man sized target at 500 yards prone is not a big deal and quite simple.

Yes wind can be an issue, but your sights have windage built in and it is the rifleman's job to properly read the wind.

I have shot with Lee quite a bit over the years. When it is dead calm he is often heard to say "It is just a trigger pulling contest" as it does not take much of a marksman if you have the right equipment in a no wind situation.

Fleener

And it's Lee,s Birthday today

Back