• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Long range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use a small spotting scope, deerstalkert. But at 50 yards I can't see holes much smaller than .45 even with that! :doh:

I've had retinal surgery and still can't see worth a hoot anymore. So you can imagine how bad my dominant eye was before the surgery. Now I shoot mostly by sense of smell. ;)
Agree, I use 12x50 binoculars. What really helps is I make my own shot-n-see targets. very cost effective considering what they want at the sporting goods store.

100 yards is long range shooting with a round ball and open sights while hunting. All the rest of the shooting is target shooting with specialized rifles made for that purpose. They are two different things entirely. I don't remember ever shooting over 100 yards except for a moose with an unmentionable. Most of the deer were under 50 yards. I've been re-reading my books by Hanson and Baird. It's been interesting. I couldn't figure out why I was using 120 grains in my 54 some 40 years ago. It's because Hanson and Baird said that's what the mountain men often used and if we didn't do the same we probably wore lace panties under our buckskins. These days, I like 50 grains a whole lot better and I'd bet that it will kill a 50 yard deer just as dead as a 120 grain load and I still don't wear no lace panties.

I also use a small spotting scope, deerstalkert. But at 50 yards I can't see holes much smaller than .45 even with that! :doh:

I've had retinal surgery and still can't see worth a hoot anymore. So you can imagine how bad my dominant eye was before the surgery. Now I shoot mostly by sense of smell. ;)
My wife Joan has had that done Yesterday she was driving at 40 mph in the motorways middle lane I said get in the left lane,or do 50mph at least " I feel happier here ". , she's 75 And it's a Z3 BMW I realy want to see how well a reproduction flintlock can shoot with a good scope, interesting exercise thinking outside the box

After reading posts about long range shooting, I thought I would give it a try. This a 3 shot group at 100 yards. Found it most difficult to see the target. Shooting my .54 cap hawken, GM barrel, with 100 grains gfafs 3f, .018 patch, 530 ball. Open sights, not great but I did hit the paper.

That's a darned sight better than I can do. Nice shooting. :thumb:

100 yards is long range shooting with a round ball and open sights while hunting. All the rest of the shooting is target shooting with specialized rifles made for that purpose. They are two different things entirely. I don't remember ever shooting over 100 yards except for a moose with an unmentionable. Most of the deer were under 50 yards. I've been re-reading my books by Hanson and Baird. It's been interesting. I couldn't figure out why I was using 120 grains in my 54 some 40 years ago. It's because Hanson and Baird said that's what the mountain men often used and if we didn't do the same we probably wore lace panties under our buckskins. These days, I like 50 grains a whole lot better and I'd bet that it will kill a 50 yard deer just as dead as a 120 grain load and I still don't wear no lace panties.

For hunting Deer, Elk, Moose, etc., I would have thought mini or maxie balls would be more appropriate than a patched round ball. (I know, minnie got no balls....)

For hunting Deer, Elk, Moose, etc., I would have thought mini or maxie balls would be more appropriate than a patched round ball. (I know, minnie got no balls....)

PRB of 50 cal and up is plenty for deer within 100 yards. They aren't that big or tough. Elk are a lot tougher.

As for long range shooting, with a high-powered unmentionable and a big honking scope, I can make 300 yard shots on game. With open sights, well... I have 20/200 vision without contacts and my eyes don't work together. With an adjusted prescription and a lot of work I shoot fairly well with my muzzleloader to 75 yards and mostly stay on paper at 100. I've had poor vision all my life, so I am just happy I can make 75 yard shots on deer and expect to drop it. That said, I tend to hunt with 54 and 58 calibers. A bigger bore means that what would otherwise be a marginal hit is generally a killer. A 54 round ball with 110 grains of powder last fall made a texas heart shot a for sure kill shot.

I’ve both, large bore round ball rifles and small bore (40 x 45) bullet shooters for elk. I can’t recommend .50’s for elk and in any case round ball guns are indeed mostly a sub 125 yard rig. Bullets carry energy much better and also have flatter trajectories as a general rule. Also, not everyone is limited by distance to the same degree as the mythical “average“ shooter. For anyone interested, I recommend setting up a good 45 with proper sights and burn a few dozen pounds of powder. You’ll find your own limits in due time but along the way you’ll have a lot of fun and isn’t messing around with interesting guns the whole point of the exercise?

You and me, both, Hanshi........but I thank God for retinal surgeons!

Do it with your eyes closed, be one with the target grasshopper

Long range depends largely upon context. For naval gunnery, the target often is over the horizon and cannot even be seen by the ship's gunnery section. For me, with a patched round ball, using my best gun for that purpose (Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .54 caliber), long range is anything at 100 yards and beyond. Realistically, I should probably not shoot at a deer with that rifle past maybe fifty to seventy-ish yards or so.

Some years back I had a target displayed in the store I managed with five shots in the black from seven yards. I was kind of proud of that target, but a youngster used to shooting a plastic-framed unmentionable thought that this was not a very impressive target. He'd never tried to do this with a 5 1/2" percussion revolver though. Somehow, I think he'd have changed his opinion of my shooting abilities if he'd done so.

These days, my Pietta mostly hangs on the wall as I am not a very good shot with it now.

I understand 100 is not really long rang, but it is as far as I care to attempt a kill shot. 1000 yards? Just how big is the target and how can you even see it ? I would need optics after 300.
Hey bud, 100 yards is plenty good nuff for many of us, especially for those of us with old and failing eyes. Congrats on your good shooting. That's a dead deer all day long.

After having 20/15 vison for most of my younger years, and now vision going down hill even with corrective lenses, it has become obvious. A person can only shoot as good as they can see.

Be happy with your 100 yard groups.

Long range depends largely upon context. For naval gunnery, the target often is over the horizon and cannot even be seen by the ship's gunnery section. For me, with a patched round ball, using my best gun for that purpose (Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in .54 caliber), long range is anything at 100 yards and beyond. Realistically, I should probably not shoot at a deer with that rifle past maybe fifty to seventy-ish yards or so.

Some years back I had a target displayed in the store I managed with five shots in the black from seven yards. I was kind of proud of that target, but a youngster used to shooting a plastic-framed unmentionable thought that this was not a very impressive target. He'd never tried to do this with a 5 1/2" percussion revolver though. Somehow, I think he'd have changed his opinion of my shooting abilities if he'd done so.

These days, my Pietta mostly hangs on the wall as I am not a very good shot with it now.
There’s not much difference in accuracy between an 1860’s combat sidearm and one designed in 1960. It may be easier to make quick hits with the new guns at distances over ten yards or so. And of course they’re generally more reliable and quicker to reload. If you have time to aim carefully the gap narrows or disappears entirely. Benchrest any modern pistol you own with a variety of ammunition and then do the same thing with your 1851, 1860, or 1858. A cap pistol in good nick gives up nothing in the accuracy department.

Last edited:
Back