• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Long Range Calibers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After watching some of the vids linked on here, and reading discussions, I took the plunge. Had an Interarms Hawken with nice wood but a trashed bore. Sent to Mr. Hoyt for a reline to .375 cal with 1 in 15 twist. I chose the caliber based on a couple issues. A friend has a similar barrel, as yet untested, and a variety of molds as he used to shoot long range unmentionables in 38-55. I also had an unmentionable in 45-70 for the same purpose. Did not like the recoil of 90 grains of black pushing a 505 grain bullet, even in a 10lb gun.

Fast forward, my friend is getting his gun (a tc Hawken with I believe a green mountain barrel) assembled. Neither of us can find any info on long range traditional muzzle loading with that caliber. Seems everyone uses a 45.

Anyone have any experience with it?

After watching some of the vids linked on here, and reading discussions, I took the plunge. Had an Interarms Hawken with nice wood but a trashed bore. Sent to Mr. Hoyt for a reline to .375 cal with 1 in 15 twist. I chose the caliber based on a couple issues. A friend has a similar barrel, as yet untested, and a variety of molds as he used to shoot long range unmentionables in 38-55. I also had an unmentionable in 45-70 for the same purpose. Did not like the recoil of 90 grains of black pushing a 505 grain bullet, even in a 10lb gun.

Fast forward, my friend is getting his gun (a tc Hawken with I believe a green mountain barrel) assembled. Neither of us can find any info on long range traditional muzzle loading with that caliber. Seems everyone uses a 45.

My good friend hunts with his Taylor Volunteer Whitworth in .451" and last December he landed a 342 yard shot on a 10 point buck right behind the shoulder and a bit high. No telescopic sight that shot but he has since added one to the rifle. Ive made only an 84 yard shot with my H&A Buggy Rifle .45cal. As for .375 cal there was an older fella in Ridgely, Maryland who has since passed who used a .375 round ball in his .38 cal original Percussion rifle with a .020" patch well lubed with his mouth, he looked like a goat chewing cud when he was lubing his patches in his mouth. I hunted whitetails with him on a handful of times where he was the only one with a deer that day. He took a shot of exactly 219 yards from where he was standing and where the doe he shot was standing. He used a rangefinder and a tape measure to be sure. That was with open sights, he was 77 years old and the rifle was built in Ohio in 1845. That was a day I'll never forget because his son in law had just bought a new CVA unmentionable for almost $1k and thought he was going to get 300 deer in a day lol. Also I might add the lowest caliber to use on deer is .40 in MD but no one told on him we were all impressed and unaware of the caliber limit since some states allow as low as .36 for deer.

Last edited:
I would probably never hunt with this, just interested in trying to hit steel or paper. I have easy access to a 250 yard range and limited access to a 500 yard range. That would likely be my limit. While there is a 1000 meter range about an hour away. You have to be related to royalty with a letter of reference from a 4 star general to join. And they only open the 1000 meter range 1 day per week since the driveway to their clubhouse and other ranges goes right across the half way point of the 1000 meter.

I was hoping someone might have even limited experience with the .375 cal just as a starting point .

I would probably never hunt with this, just interested in trying to hit steel or paper. I have easy access to a 250 yard range and limited access to a 500 yard range. That would likely be my limit. While there is a 1000 meter range about an hour away. You have to be related to royalty with a letter of reference from a 4 star general to join. And they only open the 1000 meter range 1 day per week since the driveway to their clubhouse and other ranges goes right across the half way point of the 1000 meter.

I was hoping someone might have even limited experience with the .375 cal just as a starting point .
Yea I dont remember the old man doing much target shooting besides the occasional beer or whiskey bottle at 100 yards. He was already dialed in good on that rifle by the time I met him. Plus his rifle wasnt exactly .375 cal he just used a .375 ball still deadly accurate. I was talking to his grandson this morning and he said the rifle had a 1:66 twist with a 40" octogon barrel if that kinda helps you. Rifiling was about .08" deep when he had a gunsmith look it over before taking it hunting again last year since his grandfather passed about 4 years ago.

With a 1:15 twist I doubt you will be terribly impressed by your new rifle at 1000 meters. You are going to be firing bullets up to about 310 grains, which will fly well to 500 yards but are going to likely be a lost cause at 1000. Most silhouette shooters using 38s will go with 1:12 barrels and use bullets in the 360 - 380 grain range, and even then they are at somewhat of a disadvantage at 500M compared to the 40 calibers and bigger. However, if you have realistic expectations and take the time to learn to manage the rifle well, I think you are going to enjoy it. With much less recoil and powder use, the smaller rifles are a joy to shoot if just a bit more picky. I have a 35 caliber bullet firing rifle I built years ago which uses a 220 grain micro groove type bullet from Accurate Molds, and it is a lot of fun to shoot and quite accurate to 300M or so. Why people don't play with the smaller bores I don't know, tradition and marketing I suppose. Make sure you read Ned Robert's book on bullet firing caplock rifles, you'll find a lot of good information there to help you along.

I think shooting beyond 500 yds would be very rare. Maybe fun to try though.

Went through some molds today, found one that should work in my barrel as a starting point.

Hope to have some time to get the tang site on this week. Debating on spending the money for a higher end globe front site.

I think shooting beyond 500 yds would be very rare. Maybe fun to try though.

Went through some molds today, found one that should work in my barrel as a starting point.

Hope to have some time to get the tang site on this week. Debating on spending the money for a higher end globe front site.
You’ll want to watch for fouling buildup in the breech. It happens much faster in the small bores And suddenly, caps pop and nothing happens. I would suggest popping a cap after every shot before loading the next round. Try both 3 and 2f. One of my 40’s prefers 2f. It has a Rice breech plug which is much impro over the TC plug. I’m not familiar at all with the Investarms plug.

I suppose if we really want to get serious about long range slug gun shooting we would have a false muzzle made for the rifle. I'm not familiar with the process and maybe someone here can jump in but I think the time to do it would be when a barrel is getting rebored. I passed up some beautiful slug guns at a moving sale that I could have had for near nothing. They were made by someone named Bieson (??) and had been used at Friendship years ago. They were being sold by the owners widow who had also been a shooter. I didn't buy them because I was down sizing for a major move and they were inlines but I think they did use #11 caps and not 209 primers. I did have enough sense to buy the 2000 RWS caps she had for sale however.

Another note. Watch the nipples. Small bores operate at relatively high pressure and will chew up a nipple in less than a dozen shots with heavy for caliber bullets and powder charges. Platinum nipples are nearly a must here.

Whitworth created the LR game we know still today.. Whitworth also made some in 30cal, they are just plain fun to shoot.
His experiments created the fast twist 45 (0.451”). Read up on his work that’s all you’ll really need.
Also, for hunting - most states require bores above 40 and many 45 for deer.
40 cal are out there, but when conditions aren’t ideal - the 45 rules. Pedersoli even came out with a 40cal Gibbs, years ago.

I think that most of the favored long range sniper bullets over the past few decades have been in the .30-ish range (e.g., .30, .338). Mostly, as I recall, this has been because of the advantages this offers in bullet design to achieve the best ballistic coefficient (including length of bullet, weight distribution, hollow point, boat tail). So I suspect that your .375 can fit into that scenario if you can find (or create) a good projectile for it.

I may end up having a custom mold made if I can figure out the right specs. And I have heard about the nipple issue, and the pricey .

Minumum hunting caliber in NY is 45 for muzzleloader, but i have plenty of other options to hunt with so that’s not an issue. Just for having fun.

I’d get in touch with Tom at Accurate Molds. He can build the mold to suit your ROT and velocity. I would start with accurate measurements of your bore. Tom will cut whatever you want to fit.
DFA663F9-6859-4F3C-8F7B-2DA1859D3F17.jpeg
F4CF2221-1AE9-4F17-9A15-46D6FA8510B8.jpeg

I’d get in touch with Tom at Accurate Molds. He can build the mold to suit your ROT and velocity. I would start with accurate measurements of your bore. Tom will cut whatever you want to fit.

Or Steve Brooks, Steve has made so many molds that if you call him he can probably steer you into what will work the best, Tom at Accurate probably as well. Stop guessing and call the experts.

Years ago I endeavored to shoot a .40 caliber at 1,000 yards, and so I did. Did allright with it, but is much harder than using a .45. A .38 past 400 yards in my opinion is not useful.

Excellent, very high quality molds
Yes, I have several Brooks molds and they are excellent. He and Buffalo Arms sort of took up the slack when Paul Jones retired who was probably the preeminent mold maker in modern times for mid and long range buffalo gun shooting. I have several of his as well in .45 cal.

When shooting long range, heavy and long bullets are your friend. This may be the reason you don't hear of much .375 long range data?

Back