• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

LONG ENOUGH FLINT ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Is it important that the flint be backed up against the screw on the jaws that hold it? I'm using a L & R replacement lock that says to use a 5/8 flint and that is what is pictured. Maybe a 7/8 flint? I removed the leather so it could be seen better. 20220906_140647.jpg20220906_140553.jpg20220906_140509.jpg

Last edited:
That flint is much too small. Measure the width of the frizzen face, and the width of the cock jaws. That will tell you how wide your flint should be max. In half cock with the frizzen closed measure the length keeping in mind you want your flint to be about 1/8" from touching the frizzen and space for the leather.

That flint is much too small. Measure the width of the frizzen face, and the width of the cock jaws. That will tell you how wide your flint should be max. In half cock with the frizzen closed measure the length keeping in mind you want your flint to be about 1/8" from touching the frizzen and space for the leather.
The frizzen face is 3/4" and the width of the cock jaws are 5/8". Now the thing that gets me is that at 1/2 cock the jaws of the cock are 1/2" away from the frizzen. Seams like an awful long distance to me. But with my custom made wooden flint that measures 7/8" long by 3/4 wide would be an ideal size. So maybe a 7/8" flint and do some Dremil work to fit better?

Attachments

• 16625057528617600835968339589891.jpg
    16625057528617600835968339589891.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 16625057921155501663876855508624.jpg
    16625057921155501663876855508624.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
The frizzen face is 3/4" and the width of the cock jaws are 5/8". Now the thing that gets me is that at 1/2 cock the jaws of the cock are 1/2" away from the frizzen. Seams like an awful long distance to me. But with my custom made wooden flint that measures 7/8" long by 3/4 wide would be an ideal size. So maybe a 7/8" flint and do some Dremil work to fit better?
3/4 x 7/8 should work. You can cut a little rectangle notch out of the back of the leather the width of the cock screw to allow you to back the flint up.

When ordering flints from TOW.... flints are measured in "Width" not length.
Yea I got that. I had ordered and received 5/8" flints from TOW. It's the size the lock company stated that I should use, but like you can see in the pictures it seems to be a bit too short. Going to have to get larger one than the 5/8 recommend size and make adjustments to the flint size. Got some 7/8" coming from Dixie Gun Works and I'll see how those work.

Is it important that the flint be backed up against the screw on the jaws that hold it? I'm using a L & R replacement lock that says to use a 5/8 flint and that is what is pictured. Maybe a 7/8 flint? I removed the leather so it could be seen better.View attachment 160806View attachment 160807View attachment 160808
In my experience those hump-backed flints are difficult to keep well secured in the cock jaws. Having a flint that fits all the way back to the cock jaw screw means that you'll have more flint to move forward when it's knap time.

In my experience those hump-backed flints are difficult to keep well secured in the cock jaws. Having a flint that fits all the way back to the cock jaw screw means that you'll have more flint to move forward when it's knap time.
That's what I thought. Makes me wonder why the company that made the sidelock said to use a 5/8" flint. Just too small.

the company that made the sidelock said to use a 5/8" flint.
How wide is your frizzen?
If it's 5/8", then that's the right width flint, but it needs to be longer.
TOW has different lengths with the same widths.
It's like going to Home Depot and asking for a 2 by. Well, you need to know the other dimension, too, for a proper fit.
1. So, measure the width of the frizzen. That's the first dimension.
2. Then, measure the distance along the bottom jaw, at half-cock, from the jaw screw to the frizzen. Subtract the gap that you want between the flint and frizzen (around 1/4"), and that's the second dimension.

This is the Fifth Dimension. Up, Up, and Away...
1662582149873.png

How wide is your frizzen?
If it's 5/8", then that's the right width flint, but it needs to be longer.
TOW has different lengths with the same widths.
It's like going to Home Depot and asking for a 2 by. Well, you need to know the other dimension, too, for a proper fit.
1. So, measure the width of the frizzen. That's the first dimension.
2. Then, measure the distance along the bottom jaw, at half-cock, from the jaw screw to the frizzen. Subtract the gap that you want between the flint and frizzen (around 1/4"), and that's the second dimension.

This is the Fifth Dimension. Up, Up, and Away...
View attachment 161057

OK, I reread your Post #9, and you already have the solution.
You will have the flint sticking out in front of the jaws, so 1/2" should be fine.
You can position the flint to be wedge up or wedge down, whichever fits the frizzen better.
Let us know how you do.

I've found that a flint that's not supported by being backed up against the cock screw can have a bit of "flex" or "give" when it strikes the frizzen face. If a flint is too long a hole gets cut in the leather so that the back side of the flint itself rides against the screw. OTOH if the flint's too short a match stick, toothpick, etc, is put behind the flint so it moves farther out and is still solidly backed.

Latest posts

Back