• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Long Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking at a really cool Hudson Valley gun but I am a little wary of the barrel length (54 in.) Who here is familiar handling and hunting with a longer barrel? (50+ inches). Thanks!

Hello all. I am looking at a really cool Hudson Valley gun but I am a little wary of the barrel length (54 in.) Who here is familiar handling and hunting with a longer barrel? (50+ inches). Thanks!
Long smooth bore fowler barrels were fairly common back in the day. The thought being longer meant longer range. The law of diminishing returns today counters that, but they are neat to shoot if you can hold them up long enough to get the shot off. Too bad you couldn't post a picture, or maybe you can. I'd like to see it.

Back