• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lollipop tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Ned Roberts' The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle, improvements over the barrel-mounted older open sights didn't occur until several years after the percussion cap came into being.

The tang peep sights came into use about 1840 {+/-).

Just like what we do today, when a new doodad appears, some folks retro-fitted their older longrifle with one, especially if they were a competition target shooter.

in my simple mind I was thinking since the SMR started developing around 1778 the long tang proberly deveoped around 1780

in my simple mind I was thinking since the SMR started developing around 1778 the long tang proberly deveoped around 1780

That very well could be right but of course like anything else what is generally called an SMR was a work in progress starting about then but didn't find its sort of 'golden age form' until later. As an example the Kibler SMR is a pretty nice copy of a NC Whitson Rifle c1840 or even later. I think Jim described the architecture as 'late second quarter to early second half of the 19th century. Lollipop tangs and over the comb tangs were fairly well developed norms for these guns, which insinuates late period, but like I said, I'm not certain. I'll ask some of the Tennessee rifle experts over on ALR and get back.

The reason that was said is because there is a family hairloom Rowan longrifle with a lollipop tang that has colonial style disgin large flat butt plate, and germainc style lock anf trigger gaurd

The reason that was said is because there is a family hairloom Rowan longrifle with a lollipop tang that has colonial style disgin large flat butt plate, and germainc style lock anf trigger gaurd

Oh, I see. Not having had my third cup of Joe, I was answering, "When did the lollipop tang first start being used as a regular design element in the SMR". {off to the Keureg for another cupa}

Back