• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock upgrade questions.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinginslugs

North Florida
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set trigger model renegade with a factory lock and I have another single trigger hunter stock I am building for another barrel. It needs a lock. I am leaning towards taking the factory lock from the set trigger stock and using it for the single trigger. The double trigger model has a davis deer slayer trigger and a .54 barrel with a rear mounted skinner peep. The single trigger will wear a .56 SB, I am leaning towards the L&R for the .54 is it truly a upgrade? Is it worth it? How hard is the installation? Thanks

Last edited:
Most of the locks on my guns are either stock, or Siler locks…but I have 4 muzzleloaders with L&R locks. All of them are flintlocks. One of these L&R locks is a replacement upgrade lock.

This L&R upgrade lock is on a Dixie Gunworks Tennessee Mountain rifle. Compared to the stock Dixie lock, the Replacement L&R lock is stouter, with a lock-plate that is a bit thicker, requiring a little bit of inletting for it to fit properly. The frizzen is also meatier than the stock lock…which I personally like.

I would say that it is truly an upgrade, when looking at the stock CVA locks, TC locks and the Dixie locks. The stock Pedersoli and upgrade L&R lock are very comparable to each other…build wise. Again I’m talking about flintlocks.

Last edited:
The L&R replacement locks for the T/C are not drop in. A significant amount of wood needs to be removed from the lock mortise to accommodate the leaf spring of the L&R lock. If you are comfortable with doing the in-letting work then go for the replacement lock. I personally have no issues with the factory T/C percussion lock. The T/C flint lock can sometimes be temperamental and require tuning.

I haven't installed an L&R percussion RPL lock but have installed the flint version in a Renegade percussion stock, it took all the gunsmithing skills I could muster and about a weeks time to get the lock inletted in, touch hole lined up properly and to fil the gaps in the over sized TC lock mortise. There wasn't anything drop in about this lock, it was more like taking a lock that didn't fit the gun or mortise and making it fit.

Latest posts

Back