• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lock Tuning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any suggestions on where to get a lock tuned?
As said earlier, Brad Emig is very good. I highly suspect, Brad's turn around time might be timely, as he is in high demand. I would for sure check him out. Also check local ML clubs for some direction in your area. It could save you some turn around time.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Brad Emig did a rifle repair(trigger)
DSC02984.JPG
DSC02959 (2).JPG
and tuned 2 siler locks for me in under a month last winter

Any suggestions on where to get a lock tuned?
I'm pretty new to flint shooting and lock tuning myself but one of my main points of interest is how snug and smooth the tumbler bearing fit through the lock plate is. Some of the ones I've looked at are pretty sloppy which cannot bode well for how consistently square the flint strikes and scrapes down the frizzen or for bearing longevity. IF it's wearing at angle it will wear much faster than if level and slug. If the cock can be moved side to side in the bearing than it will not hit the frizzen squarely and continue to cause the flints to wear un-evely to one side or the other.
The other thing I noticed in a couple of my flint guns is where does the frizzen direct the spark shower, ahead of the pan or into it. The hottest and most efficient spark will be a direct one to the pan powder not one that has bounced around once or twice before hitting the pan powder.

I'm pretty new to flint shooting and lock tuning myself but one of my main points of interest is how snug and smooth the tumbler bearing fit through the lock plate is. Some of the ones I've looked at are pretty sloppy which cannot bode well for how consistently square the flint strikes and scrapes down the frizzen or for bearing longevity. IF it's wearing at angle it will wear much faster than if level and slug. If the cock can be moved side to side in the bearing than it will not hit the frizzen squarely and continue to cause the flints to wear un-evely to one side or the other.
The other thing I noticed in a couple of my flint guns is where does the frizzen direct the spark shower, ahead of the pan or into it. The hottest and most efficient spark will be a direct one to the pan powder not one that has bounced around once or twice before hitting the pan powder.
Question, does spring tuning on the frizzen have any relation to directing the spark shower into the pan or is this simply a function of frizzen shape and positioning?

Direction of the sparks is determined by geometry of the frizzen and angle of attack by the flint. The frizzen spring strength and camming action contribute to timing of full opening of the frizzen and in resisting the force of the cock and mainspring, also to spark production.

I did have to heat and bend the cock angle a bit on my flint Yazel match pistol to get it to reliably generate more sparks and better focus the shower into the pan. It fires quite fast and reliably after the mod. I also think using my own flatter flints and manipulating the edge profile added greatly to the spark shower focus into the pan.
It appears to me that one can change the spark shower angle at least to some degree by raising or lowering the flints strike edge with a pressure flake tool.

When I checked into tuning one of my flintlocks, the struggle I had was that you have to ship the whole rifle, not just the lock. Shipping out and back gets pricey, and for the rifle that needs to be tuned, that plus the cost for tuning is nearly the cost of the rifle.

Not sure why you’d have to ship the whole rifle to tune a lock. Most quality locks today don’t require a lot of attention. Just some general smoothing and polishing. Where the average guy can get in trouble is changing angles on sear and tumbler. Can get dangerous in a hurry.
Got to know your limitations.

Well with frizzen hardening, I always ask 1) if it’s gouging the frizzen and 2) whether the frizzen can be scratched with a file. If so, then a deep case pack hardening can make a big difference. I’m not looking for work but if the Emigs can’t get to it in a timely manner I’d look at it.

I can see there is a lot to think about and learn when it comes to flint lock tuning but I find function mods the most interesting and intriguing. Polish for the sake of looks not so much. I've always preferred simple elegance via fit , finish and smooth function.

Brad Emig took care of a lock for me in under two weeks, but one would have to check with him to see what his current TAT is. In the case of my lock, he had to reharden the frizzen and also change the cock angle. He advertises in Muzzleloader Magazine specifically for lock repair and tuning services.

https://cabincreek.net/

Back