• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lock stuck in stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a lot of rubbing going on with the tumbler and mainspring in the lock mortice....I think that is what the white marks are right in front of the hole for the trigger sear. That can cause all sorts of half cock, full cock and trigger issues. You can blacken the lock internals with a candle....put it back in, work the lock back and forth between uncock, half cock and full cock.....remove and look for black marks....remove any wood that is marked with a sharp chisel and repeat. That should fix it up.

All kind of stuff can happen with differences in humidity, storage, old oil and what not. I always think it's better to learn to fix these things yourself. I was watching a Morphys' auction of an Antes copy not long ago. The rifle was made by a couple of the best makers around right now....full cock and half cock didn't work as noted in the auction. It was also a Chambers lock and I have no doubt it could've been made to work perfectly with just a little know how. I've never heard of J Cook but your gun looks pretty well made from the pics....a little tweaking and I'm sure it'll work fine.

Full cock was not catching quite right or I was not pulling it back far enough I suppose. I did try to give the trigger a few pulls while on half cock, is that quite bad for the lock assembly?
Now that you have the lock reinstalled, you may need to turn your screw back out about a/8 turn, then tap the head. It should loosen the lock enough to get it out of a bind.

I can do the work, although I haven't done anything similar, I have the sense to do so.

I would like to get into this sector of historical equipment and understand well having to deal with not being 100% satisfied with what I've purchased. I do like the rifle and can bring it up to speed. I do feel cheated but I am not one to dwell on it. This isn't my first rodeo and will not be the last.

I am simply disappointed in TOTW. I thought they were a trustworthy business but I see now they're just like many other businesses in a variety of different industries that I've come across. Overcharge, underdeliver, use uninformed customer opinions to heighten expectations, rinse and repeat. Townsends.us is another company playing the same game.

It is quite disheartening to see these businesses take advantage of the kind and respecting people in these small sectors of honest enjoyment. I studied textile and apparel manufacturing, it has been disenchantment ever since. I'm 27 years of age, but experiences like these attempt to flip those two numbers every time.

Last edited:
Examples of the lack of fit and finish being sold for 1200$, to be sent away with a backhand when asking for a discount or a coupon.

Attachments

• F4894204-A816-4090-BE77-97D0976282A1.jpeg
    F4894204-A816-4090-BE77-97D0976282A1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FBAD3130-38C6-45B6-936F-F0BC37560B6A.jpeg
    FBAD3130-38C6-45B6-936F-F0BC37560B6A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • F91003C2-96CE-40FB-9EC3-17D330382B27.jpeg
    F91003C2-96CE-40FB-9EC3-17D330382B27.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6D921E20-7877-4276-AC70-055D31D6A909.jpeg
    6D921E20-7877-4276-AC70-055D31D6A909.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I can do the work, although I haven't done anything similar, I have the sense to do so.

I would like to get into this sector of historical equipment and understand well having to deal with not being 100% satisfied with what I've purchased. I do like the rifle and can bring it up to speed. I do feel cheated but I am not one to dwell on it. This isn't my first rodeo and will not be the last.

I am simply disappointed in TOTW. I thought they were a trustworthy business but I see now they're just like many other businesses in a variety of different industries that I've come across. Overcharge, underdeliver, use uninformed customer opinions to heighten expectations, rinse and repeat. Townsends.us is another company playing the same game.

It is quite disheartening to see these businesses take advantage of the kind and respecting people in these small sectors of honest enjoyment. I studied textile and apparel manufacturing, it has been disenchantment ever since. I'm 27 years of age, but experiences like these attempt to flip those two numbers every time.
Just look at it as an educational expense. Every learning experience cost you something, whether it be time, sweat, or money. Remember what you would have liked to have had happen differently on this deal and apply that to your next buy. I will say that while I still do business with Track it's not nearly as much as I used to. The few phone experiences I've had with them over the last year or two left a bad taste in my mouth. They seemed like it was a bother to take the time to talk to me and all I wanted was to ask a couple of questions and place an order. If this is their new way of treating customers it will catch up to them.

Just look at it as an educational expense. Every learning experience cost you something, whether it be time, sweat, or money. Remember what you would have liked to have had happen differently on this deal and apply that to your next buy. I will say that while I still do business with Track it's not nearly as much as I used to. The few phone experiences I've had with them over the last year or two left a bad taste in my mouth. They seemed like it was a bother to take the time to talk to me and all I wanted was to ask a couple of questions and place an order. If this is their new way of treating customers it will catch up to them.
I agree wholeheartedly with the educational expense sentiment. I have had a number of them. The current way of doing business in society does not take kindly to newcomers.

The phone experience was precisely as described. One thing I took note of after the fact is the statement plastered on all of their listings.

"Ten day inspection begins at delivery. Send your approval. Else return it for same day refund, if not delighted. Postage is your only risk."

This is an inherently disengenuous statement, the consumer is by and large not going to be able to tell if what they are getting is actually worth the money. The few who educate themselves will, but those few are not who make up the majority of any business's clientele, no matter the industry.

Well, it looks like you’re stuck with it.I don’t know how much knowledge you have of these guns, but this looks like a fun refurb! Take it apart, redo all the pieces, maybe even the stock. If you’re not up to the task, I would at least take some emery paper to the edge of the lock plate, and then put some wax on it till it fits into the mortise better. Not knowing your knowledge of these locks. I guess you’re uncomfortable taking it apart. That would be the first thing I do.

I suspect that the sear is binding once it's in the mortise. With the lock out of the mortise, does the sear hang down below the bottom of the side plate?

I agree wholeheartedly with the educational expense sentiment. I have had a number of them. The current way of doing business in society does not take kindly to newcomers.

The phone experience was precisely as described. One thing I took note of after the fact is the statement plastered on all of their listings.

"Ten day inspection begins at delivery. Send your approval. Else return it for same day refund, if not delighted. Postage is your only risk."

This is an inherently disengenuous statement, the consumer is by and large not going to be able to tell if what they are getting is actually worth the money. The few who educate themselves will, but those few are not who make up the majority of any business's clientele, no matter the industry.

That would be the customer’s responsibility, not the business. I’m not getting what you are implying? If a buyer doesn’t educate themselves on what is worth their own money, that’s on them. That’s been the way business has worked for thousands of years.

I've seen a few rifles where the builder , or someone applied way too much stock finish , coupled with tight inletting of parts, causing the parts on the rifle to be well stuck in their inlets. In disassembling one of these zombee finished rifles , extreme caution , and patients need be used in disassembly of the unit or wood can be broken away on the inlet part's edges. As guns are used over the years , gun stocks can shrink , even though the stock wood was properly dried , before the gun was built. I don't like to judge other builders work , but overly tight inletting , on parts made to be removed for cleaning , is simply a bad idea. Another issue frequently encountered ,is tight inletting around the sear arm tunnel , tumbler , and the rest of the moving lock parts. Tight inletting of lock parts is safety issue . No builder wants to be responsible for an injury , due to a lock malfunction.................Rant over......:doh:

I wouldn't start removing any wood as yet. The wood around the lock may have simple swelled from moisture. Let it acclimate in a warm dry area for a spell.
You are very welcome to come down and we can look it over. Looks like some screws can be replaced also. That touch hole looks big but it could be the camera.

Is it just my eyes and small phone screen or does the butt plate still have a mold line? And what's with the screw? Anymore $1200 is about what you'd pay for parts. I prefer to deal with Pecatonica, the few times I've called I have found the owner courteous and informative.

It was a used / consignment gun correct?
I can’t see where TOTW could be held responsible for it being assembled or maintained incorrectly..

That’s why I prefer too handle a gun before buying… but that’s not always possible..

Good Luck on the project, even though it’s not what you expected..
It should be a fun project!

I agree with duca. Take it all apart, sand and refinish stock and rough castings, re-stain or I prefer the ferric nitrate and heat and then use Tried and True Varnish oil mixed half and half with gum terpentine for the finish, re-blue or brown all metal parts. learn a lot about how the gun is made and the next one you purchase or build will be easier on you and your pocketbook.

If you feel skilled enough to fix this mess....Dont waste your time.
The parting line on the butt plate is reason enough to consider this an unfinished (overpriced)kit.

Take your lumps (shipping)....
and POSITIVELY send it back to Track.

Then order a proper Kibler kit.

Full cock was not catching quite right or I was not pulling it back far enough I suppose. I did try to give the trigger a few pulls while on half cock, is that quite bad for the lock assembly?
Doing that won't hurt the lock, just don't pull it to the firing position and pull the trigger without the frizzen in place or without a flint or a piece of wood in the jaws.

Back