• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lock stuck in stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a J Cook rifle from TOTW with what I believe to be a L&R lock, attempting to remove the lock and it is still held completely tight after removing the sideplate screws. Any thoughts on why that might be?

-no half cock
-trigger is floppy while cocked
-tight when uncocked
-will automatically release the cock when pulled past full cock enough

Attachments

• F4BBFBD8-60A0-476B-AAD2-0F40E6292698.jpeg
    F4BBFBD8-60A0-476B-AAD2-0F40E6292698.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 1A93C8C4-8713-4B69-B591-26987266A726.jpeg
    1A93C8C4-8713-4B69-B591-26987266A726.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Ah, it appears the trigger no longer works at full cock. It depresses at no cock, and puts up resistance while moving minimally at full cock. I suppose I'll be contacting TOTW.

Also Loosen the tang screw on the bbl, then reinstall lock screws till they are just above flush, and tap the screws with a mallet. If the tang screw threads into the trigger gaurd loosen all the retaining scews.

It sounds like the trigger needs some metal work.

Dave

Try putting the screws back in just a couple of turns then tapping the lock loose by the screw heads.
Sounds like the trigger spring is loose, or broken.
I have two rifles that requires the same method of lock removal. Loosen the lock screw(s) a bit, then tap on the screw head. I use the handle of my screw driver. It only takes gentle taps.

Last edited:
Looks like a Chambers Virginia lock to me. As mentioned use the lock bolts to tap it out. Then you can start figuring out what's going on with it. I'd go ahead and remove the trigger plate as well.

It worked! The lock and barrel had some rust betwixt them.

Is there normally a large cavity underneath the lock inletting, seen here towards the front of the mortise?
Underneath the odd blue discoloring.

Attachments

• 6AC2EE3B-8E2F-42E9-9F49-EA91B4802913.jpeg
    6AC2EE3B-8E2F-42E9-9F49-EA91B4802913.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 04B3DE56-D4F0-4C79-9B25-89D29F77F32A.jpeg
    04B3DE56-D4F0-4C79-9B25-89D29F77F32A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • E4B3A559-47FC-409D-8D3A-A0744125B3C6.jpeg
    E4B3A559-47FC-409D-8D3A-A0744125B3C6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
My vision isn't what it used to be, but is the cavity up front where the lock inletting got into the ramrod channel? The blue may be Prussian Blue residue used as a transfer agent in inletting. Good luck!

looks like a nice Rifle.... take the Barrel out and start getting into it! should be able to fix the Trigger problem. take the Lock apart, Clean, polish, and oil.

Full cock was not catching quite right or I was not pulling it back far enough I suppose. I did try to give the trigger a few pulls while on half cock, is that quite bad for the lock assembly?

A lock should not fit that tightly. I recommend using a skew chisel or similar, and scraping the inside of the lock plate inlet for a better fit. It shouldn't take much. Even a coat of finish can make them too tight. A lock should pretty much fall out of it's own weight with the lock bolts removed, and the gun tilted to the lock side. If they are too tight they can swell with the weather, potentially making a split in the stock.

am surprised a gun left track like that🙁
I would guess they did not look over it very well. They certainly did not remove the lock and look inside. Some of the wood screws look to have been replaced recently with new ones. I wonder if they replaced them or the individual who sold it to them did.

A lock should not fit that tightly. I recommend using a skew chisel or similar, and scraping the inside of the lock plate inlet for a better fit. It shouldn't take much. Even a coat of finish can make them too tight. A lock should pretty much fall out of it's own weight with the lock bolts removed, and the gun tilted to the lock side. If they are too tight they can swell with the weather, potentially making a split in the stock.
I've ordered a 1/4" skew chisel and will do this posthaste. Even putting it back in required minor tapping to get it to fit. I may leave it out for now.

I assume by the lack of attention to the half cock concerns that it is not really an issue. It definitely did not go off, which I suppose is a positive.

Take some 220 sandpapaper and round the inside edges of the lockplate. A lock doesn't need a square inside edge to grab the wood. I usually do that while I have the lock apart for polishing.

Track essentially said "this is a consignment rifle, we get these in and sell them, take it or leave it". Pretty cold shoulder on this one. Since I still have to pay return shipping it's a loss for me either way. Live and learn I guess. Probably won't buy anything but supplies from them ever again, was a first time buyer. I paid 1200$ for it, I'll probably stick with it rather than lose atleast 120$ in effort and cost to ship it back. It's marked J Cook at 36" and .45 "one and a half turn" rifling I believe. They remove their sold listings so I can't review the description they included.

Attachments

• 92D44B13-8DD1-41DC-9AF3-5A5F60C690E9.jpeg
    92D44B13-8DD1-41DC-9AF3-5A5F60C690E9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back