• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock question for builders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here but have been perusing these pages for some time. I have a question for those that build rifles about a kit I picked up. I found a Pedersoli built Lyman Signature Series to work on over the winter. There are some issues with this that I wasn't expecting among them is the lock alignment and was wondering how you all go about correcting something like this? There are other concerns with the quality of this kit that I found disappointing but this is the glaring one for now at least.

Attachments

• IMG_20230101_172010018 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230101_172010018 (1).jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 3
If by "lock alignment" you are meaning it doesn't readily fit into the mortice right out of the box, this is how these kits come. Nothing unusual. You need to inlet the lock with some type inletting black and sharp chisels and gouges. Make sure the bolster and pan seat tightly against the barrel. Also check that the pan is lining up with the touch hole.

My pic may not be the greatest there. The hammer and frizzen are are not centered on each other. Enough so as to be an issue as the center of the hammer is on the inner edge of the frizzen. I've been searching for an upgrade lock but have yet to find or hear back from any feelers about ones available for the Pedersoli built rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_20230102_100818500.jpg
    IMG_20230102_100818500.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230102_100807230.jpg
    IMG_20230102_100807230.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 0
These guys are right, what many people think is you get a kit and simply assemble then finish it. That isn’t really true! Building means correcting the short comings of mass production and refining all the details that makes a dependable and handsome fire arm. That includes each piece like the lock, triggers, etc. etc. etc.

I can see in your picture of lock that the frizzen and cock do not align correctly. Given my bad experience with only one pedersoli lock I would send it to Brad Emig and have it tuned. I guess you could try and bend things but my 2 cents says send it to Brad.

I can see in your picture of lock that the frizzen and cock do not align correctly. Given my bad experience with only one pedersoli lock I would send it to Brad Emig and have it tuned. I guess you could try and bend things but my 2 cents says send it to Brad.
Something like this is what I was looking for. A quick web search yields more than one outlet for them. Would you happen to know specifically where to contact them to get the ball rolling? Thanks for any further help or suggestions?

Found it and sent an email inquiry to him. Thanks again.

Last edited:
These guys are right, what many people think is you get a kit and simply assemble then finish it. That isn’t really true! Building means correcting the short comings of mass production and refining all the details that makes a dependable and handsome fire arm. That includes each piece like the lock, triggers, etc. etc. etc.
I am fully aware of this and it's part of why I went this route. This is my first flintlock kit but not my first kit rifle. Some of the issues noticed with this kit are just making me have questions. As an example the barrel is already blued. However, it is rusty to the point that it needs stripped and refinished. Not to mention the rather large jagged burrs at the muzzle end. Fist kit I've ever done with an already blued barrel.
I'm beginning to wonder if this kit hasn't been returned after having been started by someone else. This would explain many of the issues to include how I managed to find a discontinued rifle on clearance for less than half msrp. Either way I will make it work and it's the perfect re-entry back into a hobby I love but life got in the way of many years ago.

If the kit is a piece of manure send it back. Get your money back. End of story.

Why are people constantly paying other people to fix what should have been done correctly the first time? I don't get it. It's like buying a new car and the motor crapping out in 100 miles of usage. Then being told to have the motor rebuilt at the owner's expense.

Inletted 95% and needs final fitting...Fine. Barrel needs finishing...Fine. Stock needs final sanding...Fine. Metal parts need polishing...Fine. Cock and frizzen in two different time zones...NOT FINE. And certainly not the OP's fault.

There was a time when putting out junk would cost a person their job. Not anymore. Now poor quality is the norm. Not the anomaly.

Last edited:
If the kit is a piece of manure send it back. Get your money back. End of story.

Why are people constantly paying other people to fix what should have been done correctly the first time? I don't get it. It's like buying a new car and the motor crapping out in 100 miles of usage. Then being told by others to have the motor rebuilt at the owner's expense. It's all nonsense.

Inletted 95% and needs final fitting...Fine. Barrel needs finishing...Fine. Stock needs final sanding...Fine. Metal parts need polishing...Fine.

Cock and frizzen in two different time zones...NOT FINE. And certainly not the OP's fault.
For what I paid for the kit I can sink several hundred dollars into upgrades and such and still be short of what a finished example would have cost. Also can't return it as it was on clearance and the model is discontinued. Perhaps I should have taken another option but didn't want the wait times the ones I looked at have. One of the nicer ones is most certainly in my future though.

The barrel is blue to hold down rusting. It is meant to be temporary, not the final finish.
This is the first Pedersoli kit I've done and it has been two decades since I last did a kit. Maybe that's the difference but I've not had my hands on or seen a kit that had any bluing done already.

For what I paid for the kit I can sink several hundred dollars into upgrades and such and still be short of what a finished example would have cost. Also can't return it as it was on clearance and the model is discontinued. Perhaps I should have taken another option but didn't want the wait times the ones I looked at have. One of the nicer ones is most certainly in my future though.
It's great that you can do that. I hope you get her up and running.

But everyone else needs to stop accepting junk as part of doing business in this screwed up manufacturing world we now find ourselves.

It's great that you can do that. I hope you get her up and running.

But everyone else needs to stop accepting junk as part of doing business in this screwed up manufacturing world we now find ourselves.
Totally agree. Had I thought of and planned for this kind of winter project sooner I would have a Kibler or something of it's kind on my bench right now. I'll get her, now worries there.

I corrected the cock/frizzen alignment on this little lock. Sparks great. Not a big deal.
If I were contemplating possibly buying a replacement I would definitely have to attempt a repair.
Heat to cherry red, tweak, check alignment, repeat as necessary. When correct heat to cherry red again, quench in oil.image.jpeg

Why are people constantly paying other people to fix what should have been done correctly the first time? I don't get it. It's like buying a new car and the motor crapping out in 100 miles of usage. Then being told to have the motor rebuilt at the owner's expense.

Inletted 95% and needs final fitting...Fine. Barrel needs finishing...Fine. Stock needs final sanding...Fine. Metal parts need polishing...Fine. Cock and frizzen in two different time zones...NOT FINE. And certainly not the OP's fault.

There was a time when putting out junk would cost a person their job. Not anymore. Now poor quality is the norm. Not the anomaly.
I got into muzzleloading back in the 70s. There was some real junk being sold back then. Unfortunately the same junk is still being sold under different names at 10 times the price today.

Hi all, new member here but have been perusing these pages for some time. I have a question for those that build rifles about a kit I picked up. I found a Pedersoli built Lyman Signature Series to work on over the winter. There are some issues with this that I wasn't expecting among them is the lock alignment and was wondering how you all go about correcting something like this? There are other concerns with the quality of this kit that I found disappointing but this is the glaring one for now at least.
Send it to me and I'll tune the lock for you. Just pay the shipping.
Semper Fi,
Rick

Back