• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am gearing up to build an Isaac Haines pattern as this winter's project. While I have been very happy with the performance of the Deluxe Siler used on last years build, I am considering the Chambers Golden Age lock for the new gun. Pecatonica claims this is a very fast lock. I would be most interested in any comments from members who have used this lock.

Jim Chambers Locks, Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply

I have just finished a rifle with the Chambers Golden Age lock installed. I am most pleased with this lock. I have used the Deluxe Siler for years and find the Golden Age fully its equal. This is not surprising since the two use the same parts except for frizzen spring and lock plate. The Golden Age will fit a stock inletted for a Deluxe Siler with a bare minimum of fitting. I bought mine from Pecatonica.

Hi,
The Deluxe Siler and Golden Age locks are essentially the same with slightly different lock plates. The large flint cocks are nice because they enable a long scrape of the frizzen face. I've used them both multiple times and have no preference of one over the other. It all depends on the objectives and design of the rifle I am building at the time. My only complaint about the Golden Age lock for a Haines rifle is I think it looks too long. The original Siler was modeled after one from a Haines rifle and the large Siler (regular or deluxe) is the correct size.

dave

Look at Pletch's research work. He has documented a whole bunch of different locks and their respective speeds.

Back