• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock mechanism failure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I were out making white smoke today. It looks like my wife can't pull her hammer back past half cock. I suspect a tumbler failure. Does anyone have an extra TC hawken Lock mechanism that they would sell?

It's actually impossible to "suspect" tumbler failure with these guns.
Please remove the lock and look at how the lock functions, clean it, (brake cleaner spray then soapy water with a brush, then dry it, then oil it.)
Don't forget to "look" at the tumbler.
And tighten all 3 of those screws so the fly actually works.

Yep, I did all that and more. I took the mechanism apart and found what looks like a very small plunger that may be a part of the tumbler. The rear underside of the tumbler has a small hole drilled into the bottom with what appears to be a small spring inside the hole. I assume this plunger fits into the hole and sits against the spring. At any rate, the shaft on this tiny plunger appears to be broken off which would cause the hammer sear from moving forward allowing the hammer to lock in the fully cocked position. Id like to locate a fully functional lock mechanism and compare them to see if my hunch is correct. BTW, It was a simple operation to strip and assemble the mechanism. As far as test after assembly, there was no improvement in the operation of the cocking mechanism.

After a few hours of going over diagrams and comparing parts, I’ve discovered that there is an extension on the end of the hammer spring shaft that had broken away from the cap. Now. All I need to do is locate a replacement shaft for the hammer spring

Attachments

• 4DAB7A87-DA42-42BD-BA89-BA423533D9FC.jpeg
    4DAB7A87-DA42-42BD-BA89-BA423533D9FC.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 50
I recently purchased one from the gunworks, from tinkering with these locks there are two different main spring guides. One is a little thicker where it contacts the tumbler and one is somewhat thinner with a small ball at the tumbler. The latter version is much more prone to failure with breaks at the thinner spot by the ball.

https://www.thegunworks.com//custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=150&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

I guess I have the thinner model. I’ll check them out ASAP. I also checked EBay, but the sellers won’t ship to canada 😡

Back