• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock in the white.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve filed a lock or two before browning. Then my last couple of guns I filed sanded and browned lightly then buffed off with steel wool. Now I’m building and want to leave the lock in the white. I’ve filed the plate, and sanded to 220 grit paper, how far to you all go buffing steel your leaving ‘in the white’?

Hi,
I eventually use stones and mineral oil to polish the surface pretty highly. The equivalent with paper would be 800-1000 grit. The reason is that the higher polish resists rust better. I also case harden the plate and flintcock which also helps resist corrosion.

dave
I3UeaZJ.jpg

vMLAxTd.jpg

H9rfAIq.jpg

VYtjE7J.jpg

zWwwKZk.jpg

I’ve filed a lock or two before browning. Then my last couple of guns I filed sanded and browned lightly then buffed off with steel wool. Now I’m building and want to leave the lock in the white. I’ve filed the plate, and sanded to 220 grit paper, how far to you all go buffing steel your leaving ‘in the white’?
If you plan on leaving the lock "in the white", the higher the polish, the better it is at resisting rust.

If you don't want a mirror bright finish then stop with just the very fine grit sandpaper but the final decision is one that only you can make.

If you plan on leaving the lock "in the white", the higher the polish, the better it is at resisting rust.

If you don't want a mirror bright finish then stop with just the very fine grit sandpaper but the final decision is one that only you can make.
I don’t want a ‘chromed’ looked, but want a used in white look, will try the naval jelly.

Back