Lock Grease!

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Old Timer 48

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When you get a new lock from Jim Chambers the inside moving parts are greased with a blue, in color, grease. Do any of you know what grease it is?

don hepler

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but I use Knights breech plug lube on my locks and it is blue. I don't know who makes that particular lube, but it is intended for use on inline breech plugs and possibly other situations where heat and pressure are a factor. Other anti-seize lubes contain graphite which is pretty messy. I use the Knights lube on nipple threads and even choke tube threads or any application where anti-seize is needed.

azmntman

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a tube of gorilla grease, its dark blue and works excellent on nipple threads and choke tubes when I had em. May be that?

gwalker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I use Super Lube on my internal lock parts. It is a synthetic multipurpose lubricant/grease, is highly lubricious, clear and non-toxic. it includes PTFE micro powders that provide longer life protection against friction, wear, rust and corrosion. It will not run, drip, evaporate or form gummy deposits. Nor will it melt or separate. It is dielectric and impervious to salt water. It retains is viscosity between -45F to +450F degrees. If interested, google 'super lube' to see other information on it or where it can be purchased.

On my external lock parts, such as the frizzen and frizzen spring, I use Track of the Wolf's mink oil for a lubricant.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Why don't you ask Jim Chambers and get it straight from the "horse's mouth" - everyone else here are just guessing :hatsoff:

Pete G

76 Cal.
Reaction score
Just as an FYI: too much grease can cause the fly in a lock to malfunction and catch the sear on the edge of the half cock notch, chipping the sear and/or the tumbler. I discovered this the hard way. A little grease on high pressure points is good, but don't overdo it.

Latest posts