• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock bolts (screws) not nuff thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemuzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered the screw kit for a Leman from TOTW and now that I just drilled for the lock bolts, I discover that the threads on the "correct" screw are not enough. I either need more thread on the screw, or a shorter screw with sufficient thread depth.

So, should I just order different screws?.....Or call TOTW and say..."Whu?" Or pick up a 8/32 die and make these fit? What I need are bolts about 1.5" long with thread depths of .5"

I only ask as (yes....I do try to independently think before posting) I assume this screw is PC.

Thanks! Dave

xQNAo6C.jpg

Do you have a set of dies that you can turn more threads on to the bolts? Most of them are threaded 8-32, which is a pretty common thread pitch. Most all the big box home improvement stores sell them.
I ran in to the same thing with my current build. Quick fix. Just go slow and clean out the chips often in the process so you don't snap the bolt.

Dave, (You do not need 1/2" thread provide what you are going into is threaded continuous.
I vaguely remembered what I have just included below, but went to the internet to verify:
Joint Design Rules of Thumb

Design mode of failure is screw or bolt breaking, not stripping of the internal threads.
The length of thread engagement in a steel nut member should be equal to or greater than one full diameter of the bolt and be of comparable strength (i.e. if the screw is ¼” diameter, the thread engagement needs to be a minimum of ¼”).

Hope this helps
Flintlocklar :grin:

Thanks Gents. I already have a die handle......just need the die.

I jotted down .5" thread depth as a quick 'n dirty guess. Likely I'll only need .25".

I just thought it odd that I get screws much to long for the task at hand. :idunno:

Oh well. Again.....Thanks!!

Dave

BTW......a long time ago (like 40+ years) I ran a drill press in a company that mfg compressors and turbines. The drill press was 1/4 the size of my house. I worked on small stuff and big stuff. Drill....tap...tap....drill. Funny how that became a life lesson. :v

Picked up the die at my local hardware. Got the screws threaded to where they need to be. I got the lock plate holes drilled in the correct place....and with the correct #29 drill. I use a center drill to start any hole in metal where runout could be an issue. (But....runout on any metal is almost always critical).

I will tap tomorrow. Did to much this am to keep at it.

Grenadier1758 said:
You want just enough threads to locate the lock in the stock. No need for extra threads to pull the lock in too deep. Get the die. You needed the tap for the lock.

Spot on. On originals, they did not use pre-thread do bolts and threaded them just enough to do the job. This also prevents over-tightening of lock screws which is very important.

I threaded just 'nuff where the threads meet the wood in the lock plate mortice.

I am going to change the appearance of the screw heads. To me they look like a drunk grasshopper got stuck on the stock. :rotf:

I'll flatten 'em out some and increase the width of the screw slot.

Davemuzz said:
I am going to change the appearance of the screw heads. To me they look like a drunk grasshopper got stuck on the stock. :rotf:

I'll flatten 'em out some and increase the width of the screw slot.

Hi Dave,

I was thinking the same thing, BUT I have not studied Leman Rifles much at all.

I was only able to find two original Percussion Leman Rifles on the Internet that showed the heads of the side lock bolts, but this forum will not allow me to link to them. To me, the outer diameter of the heads of those bolts appear to be straight cylinder shaped and the top appear to be flat or almost flat.

If that is an accurate representation of the heads of side lock bolts for Leman Rifles, and please understand I am not well versed in this, then it seems the following bolts may be what you are looking for? Of course I would suggest checking the 3/8" diameter of the head of the following bolt/s against the heads of the bolts you have now.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/853/2/BOLT-L-8-B

Hope this helps a little.

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I think the link you provided to the screw is PC. OTOH, I don't understand why TOTW provides the one's I have in their "Leman kit."

The link you provided shows the head diameter of 3/8 or .375, and the kit screw is 7/16 or .4375. So the difference of .125 may.....may give me enough to flatten out the dome....and then cut (chuck up in a drill and file\stone\sand) the side flat down to the 3/8".

I'll see.

Dave

I think these look much better. I gotta clean up the screw slot and finish the inletting.

l7yumSa.jpg

Will case harden these when I get the trigger to where I want it.....and do 'em all at the same time.

Back