• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

location of telfon materal in Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings SS1, talked to Bonnie and Jim Solovan last night and got their info and phone number for you.

Not sure who sells just teflon but these folks are the ones who supply most of the shooters here with a good dense weoven cottom fabric that is treated with teflon for our competitions.

Their company is Texas Hill Country Creations and the product is "Texas Patchin". It comes in .015, .020, .023 thickness and the price is $18.00 a yrd.plus shipping. Their phone is (830) 935-2801. Bonnie and Jim Solovan

You can shoot a while with a whole yard of fabric!

They are great folks and can provide you with a great product.

rabbit03

Thanks, I will give them a call. For 40cal, what size would I want for .395 and .400 ??

SS1. Are you asking about teflon patches, or round ball??? Ball size can only be determined by measuring your bore and groove diameters with a caliper. The bore will determine minimum size of the ball, and the groove diameter determines how thick a patch you will need to use with that ball. Most 40 caliber guns use a .390 or .395 diameter ball. Then a .010, or .015 thick patch is used with the ball, depending on size. Target shooters like to use tight fitting balls, and thin patches. The reason Teflon is used for patching is that it resists tears, even when being squeezed between a ball of bore diameter or even larger, and the lands of the rifling. Teflon patching as thin as .005 can sometimes be used without worrying about blow-by, or tearing, or scorching and burning of the patch in the barrel. Teflon is a good patch material to use with some of the hotter powders, and subs.

Greetings ss1,

That would depend on what you want to accomplish with your rifle.

We shoot competition and load a very tight ball/patch combo. Some of us use bore size balls or larger :grin: and the teflon patching to get the best accuracy out of the rifle. I am currently using a .575 (288grn) roundball in my Big 58 cal Hawken. It shoots them pret-near in the same hole.

If your hunting though you might want to drop down to a .010 less diameter ball but I really don't see why. First shot is probably all your going to get and you can load that before you get into the woods anyway. And if the Indians attack then you can do like they use to do and just spit a naked ball down the bore on the run if you have to! :surrender:

What are you planning to do with it?

You coming to Brady in March or June this year??

rabbit03

There are other bennefits also to using the teflon patching. One of them being when you do go hunting (with a clean rifle for the first shot) you can keep the rifle loaded for litterly days and not have to worry about it contaminating the powder charge because of some lubrication you have on the patch.

I left mine loaded the other day for about a week and then shot it out behind the house :thumbsup: not a problem NONE!

rabbit03

Greeting ss1,

What make of barrel do you have?

If you have a wide groove barrel like a Green Mountain, the GM folks recommend a .395 for hunting and a .400 for target work.

Patch material measuring .018" - .020" will work just fine for either size ball.

Rabbitt03 is absolutely right about loading your most accurate load for the first shot when hunting. Most likely that will be the only shot at that particular animal, so make it count.

Before buying any Teflon coated patch material, I would suggest working out your most accurate load(s) using lubes like Hoppess 9 Plus, Lube 1000, etc.

Once you have established what is the most accurate ball/patch combination for you, then you are in a better position to choose what thickness Teflon coated material to purchase.

Also know that even with a tight ball/patch combination, Teflon coated material loads much, much slicker and easier than any other patch lubricant.

I have never used a loose fitting ball/patch combination for hunting or competition.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Will be shooting only targets. 40cal, .400 rb, have been told that .020 telf [and a big hammer] works good?? What do they shoot down there?? Would love to go down to Brady, just once. About a 9hr drive from Longview.

Thanks, I finialy bought a GM 40cal, 38", still not a good shoot, but I do enjoy shooting.When I show up to our shoot, they all know they will not come in last :)

Well ss1 your on the right track with the Green Mountain barrel and bore sized balls.

There are a few shooters from the Longview area, maybe your club, that come to Brady. It is a long drive but you will be shooting against some of the best in the world there. And the knowlege you gain by talking, looking and listening, well there is no price tage for it I can assure you.

Brady is a funny place though and invariably you will think about how your going to smoke all those old timers there. And them old timers will politely (usually) hand your but handed to you! Not important right now how I have this knowlege. :rotf:

Maybe we will put an eye on you one day

rabbit03

Oh and I almost forgot, some of the old timers there are so good I have seen them personally talk there way into first place.

I know this for a fact, how I know it though does not need to be discussed right now! :blah:

rabbit03

Well all them "old timers" at Brady cannot keep ya from comin ... but they can darn sure can give ya a reason ta limp goin back! :hmm: :shocked2: :cursing: :surrender:

Davy

If I get to go, this being my 70th year, I can have fun and not worry about winning.

Hello ss1 and glad to hear of your attaining the age of 70 this year! :hatsoff:

And no disrespect intended you understand, but you will not be a real old timer there by any streach! The fellow that whopped me and ol John L. Hinnant this past June was at a tender, 82 years of age.

So as you can see you need to get on out there and Give- R- heck! You got lots of rows to plow if you get the notion!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rabbit03

Greetings ss1,

There is a First-Timers Event at Brady for each shoot.

It consist of four (4) targets shot at 25, 50, and 100 yards offhand.

Over 60 (age) shooters are allowed to use any type of metallic sight.

You are allowed to enter any of the aggregates you chose.

So practice up on your off-hand shooting and come on down for a fun time.

PM me your home Email address, and I will send you some First-Timers info, I worked up last year.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Back