• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Local shop has this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Marshall

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend that owns a local gun shop picked this up Saturday at a gun show. It has a very heavy barrel and he said it was a smooth bore .40 cal. I took some pictures at lunch and I thought I would try to find out any info I could on the markings.
OwkAHba.jpg

mAi7DJz.jpg

OO6JBuB.jpg

Thanks
Robert

I found where this rifle was posted on this forum by Crewdawg445 in 2014. I bet I don't get it for $200.00 like he did.

The rifle is in nice shape and I like killing squirrels with antique firearms.
Not so sure about a 40 caliber smooth bore being a tack driving squirrel killer. Interesting gun, but price does seem rather high for what it is. For me a bit too late to be a collector and not really a shooter. But I have been wrong before. The bride has my back on this.

It could be a benefit to have a cheap borescope / endoscope to be able to closely inspect the bore with.
And then to try to use the inspection [or lack of one] to your advantage with respect to haggling a more favorable purchase price.
Your degree of happiness with buying the gun may depend on its final price.
What's the risk that the gun will be sold to anyone else while you try to hold out for the best price?
I say that because if he bought it for $200, would you still be as happy paying $500 or more for it?
Dealers looking to make a profit usually buy low and sell high.
A buyer should try to negotiate the best deal possible, while taking the price history of the same model into consideration.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Good info!! Thanks!! I was not going to pay $650. but that is the price he shot me. It is a beautiful rifle. I will work on getting to price down.

Back