• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loads for .45 with 1/66 twist barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could be right but with the right twist and linen patches i use 100. doesnt drop much at 200 yards. my favorite bag was a buck racoon at 30 yards on the canadian border. shot it out of a tree, had him tanned and still have the hide.
i like pickles. you could drink canadian whisky and bag racoons with a linen bag. grow asparagus and eat it under a tree.

Mine is kinda weird....
I have a vintage CVA caplock "longrifle" in .45. It has a slow twist and is a strict round-ball rifle. Now the manuals and how-to books all said when I bought it in 1981, that 3Fg was good for that caliber, BUT...I found for some reason that 70 grains of 2Fg worked much better than 3Fg in that rifle. So as Pete44ru posted, try 2Fg as well as 3Fg in that rifle of yours.

LD

Hodgdon load data for .45 cal roundball is 60, 70, 80 or 90 gr of FFFg Others will have their sweet spot loads that are the best accuracy.

I use 50 grns of 3F for my shooting for fun and plinking with my .45. If I was to hunt with it I'd probably go to 70 grns if it shot well.

How much drop at 200 yds? I would guess a few feet myself???
While playing with paper patched conicals in a fast twist 45 caliber thought I would see how round balls would perform at disance in another 1-48 gun. With 105 grain load was getting 2-3” groups at 100 yards. At 110 grains groups opened to 5-6”. Velocity was in the neighborhood of 2100 FPS with 110 grains. Based on memory and sketchy notes, with a 100 yard zero I was around 3-1/2 feet low at 200. Wind was an issue. Light wind would almost take the bullet off the target. Vertically, all shots were within 10-12”. As an FYI, shot a CMP match earlier in the day at 200 yards, so I was comfortable with the distance and conditions. Was using two stacked SR targets, shooting at the top bull, six o’clock hold. At 300 yards the group of guys I was with guesstimated, based on dust puffs through spotting scopes, that was I anywhere between 12’ and 18’ low. Never got on paper. Was using basically fixed sights and had little elevation ajustment. With PP conicals, adjustable peep (Lyman 57) and a fast twist barrel 300 yards is very doable. It is unrealistic to expect a 45 caliber round ball out of a traditional fix rear sight gun to go out and ‘touch someone’ at that distance.

Back