• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading single shot pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the proper technique for loading these pistols. Kentucky pistol, lyman plains pistol, etc? Specifically how are they to be held while loading? I keep hearing that some of them get a broken stock when the grip is put on a bench to ram the ball home.

I always loaded my single shots by just holding them. I generally shoot alone at the range, and our club is set up so that you have your own bay. No issue with "sweeping" anyone in adjacent bays. I built a stand to hold my ROA when loading.

When I reload my pistol I drop to my knees with the butt end of the gun between my legs and its muzzle up, then I load out of my shooting bag hanging on my right side, seat my ball with my knife handle, cut my patch, then grab it by the forend and barrel, and ram it with my ball starter, and then, with the same grip around forend and barrel, I slide it the rest of the way until my ramrod's loading notch is flush with the muzzle, there is no need for any additional pressure, or resting the gun on a hard surface. If the muzzle meets the loading notch, then the ball is seated. End of story. I prefer to do it with the gun between knees or in my hands. I don't want to put unnecessary scratches or dents on my stock, and I can't see how anyone could ever break or split a stock...that is downright Ab-use.

Maybe some of you prefer to shoot off of the table. Im a hunter. The way I see it, if ever you can find a table to load on between squirrels, its time to get out of the yard... lol. The rare times i do target shoot with my pistol, though, I just load it the same way I do while hunting. I am pretty much a hunting-styled shooter: all the way from form, to loading, to practicing.

Last edited:
I have a square of carpet I put on the table to lay it on between shots. When I load I just place the butt on that square and hold the gun with my left hand. I can't imagine breaking the stock that way. I thought about making a stand but I haul enough manure to the range as it is.

For loading without a stand, you should determine a ball and patch combo that can be thumb started. That eliminates any need for a short starter or pounding the ball in the barrel. In that case I hold my pistol around the midsection of the barrel, pour in the powder, thumb start the patched ball and ram home.
For a loading stand it is good to incorporate a rest that supports the back side of the rear sight and/or the back of the trigger spur. This spreads out the stress between 2 or 3 points. Sight, trigger and butt.

It is best to make a loading stand for range use. It is safer for you and safer for the gun.

you.
stand.JPG

1. Some people feel a great need to use a mallet and pound the manure out of a patch ball combination. (A pistol is simply not a long range elephant killer and using a sledge hammer to load simply won't change that.

2. Some pistols had poorly chosen grain direction in the stock blanks and do break far more easily than others. The TC Patriot was one that sometimes had poor grain direction and broke easier than others.

3. I always use range stands to load, regardless of what type of pistol, single shot, double barrel or revolver. I made sure there was some support for the grip so that stress at the lock area was diminished.

I took the easy way out and purchased a cheap loading stand, plan on making a better one some day. Works great with my Kentucky .45 (Pedersoli) as well as revolvers.
Before this, I just held tight and loaded (agree with above about "broken stocks")

Attachments

• 20200513_132430.jpg
    20200513_132430.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 41
I never used a stand, always used my hip or gut to brace the pistol against. Only remember to keep the barrel pointed down range.

I've said before, and am still convinced, we load MUCH tighter patched balls and much more powder than folks did 200 years ago. I killed all manner of game and shot very small targets before there was an internet to tell me I needed to pound the bullet down the bore. Heck I never owned a range rod until 5 years ago. They are handy, but not necessary.

Most ranges I've been at the shooters have those stands, it is also common for them to have depressions in the base of the stand to hold the balls- to keep track of the shots fired.

Most ranges I've been at the shooters have those stands, it is also common for them to have depressions in the base of the stand to hold the balls- to keep track of the shots fired.
I like one I saw with depressions to line up 6 rounds ready to load and a large depression for felt wads. Been meaning to add that to mine...one day

Latest posts

Back