• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Loading resistance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I load my rifle, I am pushing against a good bit of resistance. Nothing like feeling like my ram rod is going to break, but resistance. I’m using mink oil on my patches. Rifle seems to shoot acceptably. But, when I watch Black Powder Maniac load his rifle, his load seems to slide effortlessly. Is my ball / patch combo too tight? Just curious. E..

What is the bore measurement land to land?
What is depth of grooves?
What ball/patch are you using?

Please note that BPMS likes .480 round balls in his .50 caliber. He makes references to it regularly. Unless his patches are .040 thick, he doesn't have much resistance to that ramrod. And misses a lot.

BSMS is entertainment, and I enjoy some of his videos. But he is not a mentor.

If you (as I do) like fine accuracy, a tight patch/ball combo might require some "oomph" but it makes the ball go straight.

ADK Bigfoot

When I load my rifle, I am pushing against a good bit of resistance. Nothing like feeling like my ram rod is going to break, but resistance. I’m using mink oil on my patches. Rifle seems to shoot acceptably. But, when I watch Black Powder Maniac load his rifle, his load seems to slide effortlessly. Is my ball / patch combo too tight? Just curious. E..
Usually a tighter fit will bring the best accuracy, but not always. If you are wondering/wanting less downward effort when loading, try a smaller ball. Even play with patch thickness. The bottom line is accuracy. Seeking that optimum load combination is one of the fun challenges of our terrific sport.
Larry

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not about your ramrod feeling like it's going to snap. But of you're serious you're probably holding the ramrod too far from the muzzle.

With prb I hold it maybe 6 inches from the muzzle and "tap it down" rather than push. I push when loading sabots or bullets in my 50, but never when loading round balls in my 54.

I could be wrong but it works for me.

Please note that BPMS likes .480 round balls in his .50 caliber. He makes references to it regularly. Unless his patches are .040 thick, he doesn't have much resistance to that ramrod. And misses a lot.
I think he also likes olive or peanut oil too... ;)

MPBS.jpg

No, the ramrod is not to the point of failing. Actually, I do load as you describe, gently tapping. My shot pretty much goes where I aim if I don’t jerk, flinch, lose concentration or whatever. This being a flintlock, my main concern is I don’t know if I would be able to pull a dry ball if needed.

No, the ramrod is not to the point of failing. Actually, I do load as you describe, gently tapping. My shot pretty much goes where I aim if I don’t jerk, flinch, lose concentration or whatever. This being a flintlock, my main concern is I don’t know if I would be able to pull a dry ball if needed.
Are you using the guns wooden ramrod or a steel/brass range rod? I consider the wooden ramrod as a use in emergencies or for hunting only. Even then I always replace the wood ramrod with a good hickory one. Otherwise it’s my brass range rods. They load much easier for lots of shooting.

Most people use a ball and patch that are too tight, I like to thumb start the ball and push it down easily with a hickory rod. Makes pulling the ball much easier as well at the end of the day if neccesary.

After spending many years loading for and shooting unmentionables, I pulled out a 30 year old kit muzzleloader and started shooting it again. I must say, that now the unmentionables are pretty boring. I’m ready to invest in a better BP rifle.

I routinely shoot undersized balls in my rifles.
My .58 Kibler shot this 50yd. benched group with a .562 ball and .023 patch. Will a load that has to be hammered down do any better. The top shot would have been in the group, but it was the first clean-barrel shot.

Brooks rifle target.jpg

I used to use .490 or .495 patched round balls in my .50 caliber rifles. I tried different patches and lubes but they were still harder to load than I liked. Some time back I started using .454 round balls with spit lubed cut up tee shirt patches . It’s very easy to load and I can still hit a gallon milk jug at 50 yards every time with it. That’s good enough for me. The rifle I use most is a Traditions Kentucky percussion rifle.

Also, just for fun, I make paper cartridges for my Fusil de Chasse like folks use in Brown Bess or Charleville muskets. I use 70 grains of 2f and a .495 round ball. With this load I can hit a gallon milk jug at 25 yards. But not at 50 yards.

Are we sure the resistance you are feeling is the friction of a tight ball and patch against the bore, or, are you getting a lot of air pressure resistance?
If you push down on the ramrod then let go, does the rod want to rise back up?

The first three inch’s or so are a little tighter feeling unless your load is loose. Even my smoothies are pretty tight feeling at the muzzle
Using a short starter I’ve found two or three hard whacks are needed.
Without a starter I find those first inches get your attention. Then at four or five inches it slips right down. I THINK it’s the compressing of the cloth

Back