• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I use a drop tube it is to eliminate powder sticking to the sides of the barrel. Lube in the barrel will be sticky and the powder will adhere to it, thus not all the powder you have measured out will be in the main charge.. The drop tube eliminates this and yes it does help the powder pack better for better performance.
That's what I was thinking. Mostly wanted to hear from people with experience either way. I have a 24" brass drop w/funnel for cartridge loading. Perhaps I will use that as my barrel is 28" ...Thx

Drop tubes are usually used only by bench shooters who want to make sure all of the powder gets to the bottom rather than stuck to the sides.
That is my understanding and what I have been told by benchrest shooters. However, it seems to me any powder stuck to the barrel will get pushed down when the ball/patch is seated. I believe it is an unnecessary practice.

I can see (and have seen) that powder may stick to the sides of the barrel. I see it after ive wiped after the previous shot. It does seem to go on down the bore when the barrel is seated.

Used and not used a drop tube in my rifle. Seemed to make no difference out to 100 yards. Dispensed with it now, my paper cartridges and thus patched bullets work best for me. Horses for courses, you’ll need to find your own horse! 😉🥳👍👍👍

Used and not used a drop tube in my rifle. Seemed to make no difference out to 100 yards. Dispensed with it now, my paper cartridges and thus patched bullets work best for me. Horses for courses, you’ll need to find your own horse! 😉🥳👍👍👍
That seems to be the consensus. I'll just plan on a small funnel to not lose grains when pouring into the barrel...Thx

I like to use a funnel when loading at the bench. The funnel serves as a visual aid that I have powder in the barrel. The funnel stays in until I have lubricated the patch and have the ball ready to grab. I remove the funnel, place the lubricated patch on the muzzle and grab the ball. This has really cut back on the dry ball situations at the range.

I've seen "capandball" (that Hungarian guy) on youtube use a drop tube on a few of his videos. Never understood the reason, but I guess for better accuracy ?

Granadier and I use pretty much the same system with rifles. I always use a funnel to keep from losing powder. On revolvers I use one of the brass measures that the funnel can be turned to seal the tube and pour into the chamber, again to keep from dumping powder all over the front of the cylinder.

I was wondering the same...maybe by keeping his powder loads super consistent.
I think a lot of shooters who pre-weigh/measure their powder charges to be identical for every shot use a tube to ensure that every last grain gets to the bottom. I would have to think this is a strictly bench/ target shooting tool. Does anyone here carry one with them when they are hunting?😎

Latest posts

Back